Best state for otc for elk ??

Dias454

Whats up guys im new here well any way i was curious whats the best state to buy a over the counter tag for elk hunting i only hunted elk once in idaho in 2016 so this year i wanted to try a new place im coming all the way from hawaii so any help would be great thanx

Was thinkning of trying colorado or southern idaho this year any one on here need a hunting partner for october

How did you do in ID in 2016? My suggestion is for anyone just learning how to hunt a new species that should consider an outfitter. The learning curve can be brutal. Heck, hunting the same patch of land for several years can result in much different animal behavior due to dry vs wet years, warm vs. cold, hunting pressure, smoke from fires or habitat that was burned, etc. Is find it more rewarding to hunt on own on public land but I also like seeing animals and solo pack-outs of 100 pound loads is less fun that once was.

I think ID is a better chance of a bigger bull than CO. Not sure which state has better harvest rates for bull elk. You compare where you want to hunt in ID and CO in relation to the airport you would use. I look at things such as nearest gas station, place to get supplies such as ice, warm food and sometimes a motel for warm bed and hot water. If have a chance to talk to prior hunters then I ask about good spots to camp, if water is in unit, cell phone coverage, etc. If flying, what airline would you use since if tag out early and want to change ticket then is easier with some airlines than others and not all airlines fly into ID and CO.

Aloha.

I shot a 6x6 at 167 yards but all i had was a frontal shot i used a 300 weatherby with 180 bonded bullet swift i think bullet exploded impact was loud he ran across a marsh area so i lost blood trail i gps my self wen i walk i did 12 miles worth of circles never found him im 36 bin hunting since 12 so bin at it for awhile strong in shape farthest i walked in a day was 17 miles in hawai we have to carry out animal whole besides guts

Last hunt was in cordalane idaho thick over there wanted to move more south to more open areas any help would be appreciated hunting is everyrhing to me i work to pay for hunting go gym and trian to walk and carrie out game shot every weekend to be sharp so i dont lose another one

If you are ok with a cow Montana has a ton of oppurtunity right now. Cow hunts galore.

couple things I look at

Utah, plenty of public land, lots of pressure, low herd numbers in said area. 4 weeks archery season, 8-9 days if I recall for rifle (general) season. Time between them is LE/Premium/draw hunts and the rut, go figure. This year Utah is passed a rule, least for residents as I haven't looked at non resident stuff, 150 bucks get you an OTC any bull tag for general units, good for archery, muzzleloader, and rifle, plus the extended season. Years past it was pick one season pay the 50 bucks for said tag.

CO, think NR OTC tags are only 2 or the 4 weeks for the elk hunt, pretty sure largest herd numbers. Havent heard many complaints and always beautiful country.

MT, no elk to be found, might want to look at Ut..... But really I think cost aside, it's the best opportunity. Lots of public land, plenty of Block Management, long seasons, hunt the rut!

Looks like lows dipping into 30's. Highs in the 60's. Never been but that is what I read.

Montana;)

Montana, Idaho, Utah, and CO all have OTC/easy to draw tags. The best one is the one you can get to and scount and hunt every year.

Last edited:
There is nothing more valuable than having boots on the ground. I always suggest that a new hunter/elk hunter pick a place and just keep going back. The more times yo go back the better the hunting gets. The more you learn etc.

What did you not like about Idaho? It sounds like you hit a smoker of a bull, why do you want to walk away from that?

Alot of hunters on quads and its kinda thick up there thinking of hunting more south just to see whats out there i do really like idaho tho

Ill be coming up to hunt elk this year just cant decide between which state to try next i like to hunt open places so can glass more

Which island are you on??? In my very limited experience with elk hunting it is hard find an OTC unit that doesn't seem "crowded." A lot also seem to have ATV issues from my experience in Colorado.

I've been thinking about Lanai a lot lately.....NEED to get back there again!

I live on oahu but i also hunt lanai alot like 8 times a year bin hunting there 20 years

What did u hunt on lanai redwood ?? Did u go guided hunt with lanai company ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back