Caribou Gear

Best MT Bear yet!

thecrittergitter

Well, it's certainly not my biggest but it is my best, and here is why.........My 6 yr old son Braden has been dying to go bear hunting for a while so I finally got him out yesterday. As we were heading up the hill, he insisted that we couldn't shoot one unless it was a cinnamon or chocolate one, like we just get to pick and choose:);) Well, about 1 hr later, found ourselves staring at this chocolate with a big white patch on the chest. I could tell it was an average bear, not a small one, but definately not quite the size of bear i was holding out for. But as excited as Braden was, I knew he would be crushed if I didn't put this one on the ground for him to have the ol grip and grin........

I dialed the bear in for 490 yards and let it rock. Bear instantantly pancaked and unfortunatley rolled almost 400 yards to the bottom of the canyon. My hats off to my 6 yr old son for going down to the bottom of that steep, downfalled, brushed in hillside all the way to the raging creek at the bottom. He also was a big help trying to pack all the gear and bear all the way back up.........That kid had a perma grin all night like you wouldn't believe. Was my favorite bear hunt to date.

Attachments

• Bear small 1.JPG
    Bear small 1.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 697
  • Bear Small 3.jpg
    Bear Small 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 706
Every hunting experience seems to go better when the kids are along! Nice bear, congratulations! There's a hunt that both of you will remember for as long as you live!

Nice Matt....way to go!

I dont know Draht...both of my daughters love to go after deer and elk, but not so much on bear... not sure why!?!?

Now that's some kind of good stuff! Good on you for taking the young fella along. Good to see that you get it that life goes beyond you.

Well done!

Thanks guys! Its funny how things have changed in my mind for hunting.......I still want to shoot only mature animals, but the actual size of the animal definatly has less bearing when the kids are along. The kid is dedicated as heck too, if you would have seen the nasty steep hillside that he fought his way down just to see that dead bear, you would have been impressed. I watched him slip, fall, crawl under downfall, try to squeeze between thick alders.........was just awesome:)

something with bears and kids this season this makes the 4th or 5th trip I have seen where kids were in tow on a successful bear hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back