Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best Lightweight Rifle Under 6#? (in 6.5 Creedmor)

MooseCaboose

I've been looking at this lately out of curiosity. I won't be in the market for a new gun until I get out of school--but a man can dream! I'm surprised that I have not been able to find a comprehensive up-to-date list anywhere. I've found a few contenders:

Kimber Mountain Ascent- $2000 and only 4.75 pounds in 6.5 Creedmor (Sitka finish is cool too)

Howa Alpine Mountain - $1200 and 5.5 pounds in Creedmor

Savage 16/116 Lightweight Hunter - $750 and 5.65 pounds

Last edited:
Watt21, of the ones you have listed I only have hands-on with the Savage, but I've been very happy with mine. Like you said, 'a man can dream' and that Cooper looks very interesting. The Sako Carbonlight looks like another interesting option, but you'd have to go with the Creedmoor's twin - the 260Rem. Also, as you get into custom rifles you find a bunch of choices, but they probably wander farther into the 'dream' category.

I've had my hands on the Kimber and the Savage side by side in a gun shop. They didn't have the Howa so I can't compare it. The Kimber would be my preference if money wasn't an issue. Me and both of my buddies who were with me agreed that the Savage was really nice for the price. It's a little heavier as you mentioned, but it didn't feel like it was. I don't think the Kimber is worth almost 3 times as much.

I'm considering the same move, lightweight under 6 pounds in that exact caliber. My list has these on there as well as the Kimber Montana - any lovers/haters for the Montana? I'm interested in some perspective on that model.

Look at the kimber hunter, checked one out the other day and liked it a lot. The stock was much stiffer than i was expecting, it still had some flex but much less than anything else in its price range.

Look at the kimber hunter, checked one out the other day and liked it a lot. The stock was much stiffer than i was expecting, it still had some flex but much less than anything else in its price range.
I'll second that vote for the Kimber Hunter. 5 1/2 lbs. and under $900.00. They just tested one in the latest issue of American Hunter. 3/4" groups @ 100 yds.

I looked at the Kimber Hunter at Cabelas's on Saturday. Seems like a decent rifle, but good grief that stock is ugly. Probably one of the ugliest I have ever seen. I didn't like the feel of it either. I think your money would go alot further by getting a Tikka T3 Lite or Superlite. Superlite's are 5.8 lbs.

I looked at the Howa and the Kimber and the Kimbers stock made a ton of noise when something comes in contact with it so I took it off the list. When walking though the woods I don't want branches dragging across the stock and making a ton of noise. I believe it was the Montana I looked at.

I bought the Howa.

I've been looking at this lately out of curiosity. I won't be in the market for a new gun until I get out of school--but a man can dream! I'm surprised that I have not been able to find a comprehensive up-to-date list anywhere. I've found a few contenders:

Kimber Mountain Ascent- $2000 and only 4.75 pounds in 6.5 Creedmor (Sitka finish is cool too)

Howa Alpine Mountain - $1200 and 5.5 pounds in Creedmor

Savage 16/116 Lightweight Hunter - $750 and 5.65 pounds

Just a word of warning: The Howa will not be a sub-6lb gun. Mine, bare, weighs 6lbs 1oz. Confirmed on 2 separate digital scales. It's in 7-08 with the hinged floor plate. There's some shifty-dealings going on with respect to advertised weights.

FYI on those prices - I got my 7mm08 LWH for $550 off of grabagun. I did end up swapping out the stupid plastic trigger guard for a metal one from Savage, but I haven't weighed it yet. I would guess they come in higher than advertised, too.

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a great rifle, and shoots 1/2 MOA. (Could probably shoot better than that if I were more skilled.)

Kimber Adirondack comes in 6.5CM. Here's mine in 308:

IMG_5270.jpgIMG_5305.jpgIMG_5307.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgIMG_5494 2.jpg

Don't really know how it happened, but I have a Mountain Ascent in 6.5CM as well. Still need to get a scope mounted and get it to the range, but it's a little heavier with the longer barrel (Without Brake here)

IMG_5472.jpg

Ruger American, 6.5 pounds, great accuracy, 300$
I own a 308, compact youth 243, and a 22-250

I got a savage 116 in stainless steel 6.5 creed with the" accustock"it is only about 1 lb more,but the barrel is 2" longer and the stainless steel mount part of the accustock I thought was worth it.shoots awesome for a new factory rifle,i have the accutrigger turned down as far as it will adjust too,,seems perfect.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back