Caribou Gear

Best gloves for your money?

teej89

I'm in the market for a new set of winter gloves, will be using them for 3rd rifle in colorado. I have a pair of mittens that I can fold over to make fingerless that have been with me for many many years in PA but they're on their way out... I like the aspect of being able to go fingerless for shooting and other miscellaneous things, putting a primer in a muzzleloader, retying shoes, etc.... However... once they get dipped in wet snow or snow and the sun melts it they're useless.

What would you guys suggest? Or would you suggest I go full mitten or full glove and just take them off when need be?

Thanks!
T.J.

You could go with a pair of choppers that are easy to take off and have idiot cords on them. I have been pretty interested in trying the new First Lite Grizzly glove/mitt.

I personally cannot stand heavy gloves, when I am putting out some effort hunting. Use your mittens, if you think that it will be cold enough and then put a light pair of golf gloves or something under them, to have when you pull off the mittens in the shoot situation. I have never encountered a situation hunting where I needed more than a moderate set of gloves. It is not like sitting still in a tree stand. If I was looking for gloves for an elk hunt, I would probably look for some that are fairly light, but maybe waterproof and preferably, tight enough to be able to shoot with them on in a hurry-up situation.

I've tried all sorts of different gloves, and nothing works as good as even a cheap set of mittens. The last couple years I've been going with the combo of chilly grips and rag wool mittens. The mittens are great when you're sitting glassing, and the chilly grips provide some warmth while doubling as a work glove.

Aside from hunting I skied competitively then coached skiing for more than a decade and I am pretty particular about my hand-ware. For winter hunting I take a pair of wells lamont insulated leather gloves (100 gram thinsulate) these run $20-30 and are great down to 10-20 degrees when hiking or skiing (being active). When it's below that and/or I'm glassing I use a pair of Swany Toasters. The toasters are by far the best leather mittens on the mountains my current pair were purchased in 2005 and look brand new, they are warm as hell have a zipper so you can expose your fingers for shooting. On late season cow hunts I put a hand warmer in my shooting hand and leave it unzipped so my hand stays warm and I'm ready to shoot at a moments notice. With both of these gloves you absolutely need to apply Obenauf's leather treatment regularly (couple times a winter with heavy use.)
Referencing your frustration with getting wet I duck hut with my tosters and dip my hands in the water occasionally and as long as they have been treated with Obenaufs my hands stay dry.

Aside from hunting I skied competitively then coached skiing for more than a decade and I am pretty particular about my hand-ware. For winter hunting I take a pair of wells lamont insulated leather gloves (100 gram thinsulate) these run $20-30 and are great down to 10-20 degrees when hiking or skiing (being active). When it's below that and/or I'm glassing I use a pair of Swany Toasters. The toasters are by far the best leather mittens on the mountains my current pair were purchased in 2005 and look brand new, they are warm as hell have a zipper so you can expose your fingers for shooting. On late season cow hunts I put a hand warmer in my shooting hand and leave it unzipped so my hand stays warm and I'm ready to shoot at a moments notice. With both of these gloves you absolutely need to apply Obenauf's leather treatment regularly (couple times a winter with heavy use.)
Referencing your frustration with getting wet I duck hut with my tosters and dip my hands in the water occasionally and as long as they have been treated with Obenaufs my hands stay dry.

temps don't look too terribly bad, I think I'm just going to get the wells lamont. What leather do you go with tho? I'm a little confused on the difference, insulated grain deerskin, insulated grain cow hide, insulated leather... I tried looking at their leather guide but the page won't load for me.

Thanks!

I have some warm, insulated gloves that I've had for several years and the work pretty good. The only problem is that they don't have leather palms and quite a few times I have had thorns or sharp twigs poke through so now they are no longer waterproof.

I roll with the KUIU merino gloves for hiking around.

When I sit and glass if it is cold, I'm wearing duck hunting or snowboarding mittens. (depending on what I put in my pack)

If it is a moderate temperature, I will wear kuiu guide gloves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back