Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best coat in Spring or Fall

SuburbanHunter

I am planning a black bear hunt in SE Alaska near Petersburg for next year. I was wondering if the fur is best in the spring or the fall.

I guess the trade off will be spring bear&king salmon or fall bear&silver salmon depending on when the fur is the best. Also I will be doing spot & stalk hunting because I don't know anything about hunting over bait. Is spring or fall a better time for that kind of hunting?

I think the spring fur is best, but in Alaska I have seen a lot of pics of spring bears that were really rubbed in spring. Some bears on beaches dig for bugs in the sand, and their legs get bare spots. So if you go in spring look them over good before pulling the trigger.

Unless you are going in early may wait until fall. One of the HT regulars, "BW", is a guide on PoW Island and is about as knowlegable about SE bears as anybody.

If you wait until fall you can add deer to your trip and silver fishing is easier than king fishing.

good luck

Erik,

Thanks for remembering me, but I'm not a guide. Your thinking of Johnnie Laird of Muskeg Excursions. He's a guide, and works Prince of Wales and Misty Fiords.

I am working on becoming a Transporter for black bear hunters here in S.E. Alaska. Not there yet, as there are a few issues with getting a permit from the US Forest Service.

BTW, Johhnie has stated that he has seen nice, unrubbed, fresh out of the den, black bears in late-May/early-June.

Also, the meat must be salvaged in the Spring, but not the Fall.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back