Beaverhead National Forest unit 324

Jlgibbon1

Looking at doing an elk hunt in unit 324 in MT. I hunted elk here in 2010 near Spur Mountain in Beaverhead NF. Just curious if the wolves have pushed the elk out of the area? Of course if anyone had much luck in the area of recent years? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

If you haven't hunted there since 2010, expect bigger crowds. It's crazy how many hunters there are down that way now.

Wolves don't push anything out of an area permanently. There's elk in 324, although this year was pretty tough given the conditions. As far as crowds, I saw a few more camps in some areas, but overall saw less hunters than in years past.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! Throughout the whole season you have been seeing more hunters or during a particular time? I was thinking about going first or second week in November.

I've hunted archery and rifle season and seen an increase in hunters for both. The Gravellies and Snowcrests get a lot of publicity for having high elk numbers. Seems like we see fewer elk every year too. I think it's from all the pressure. I haven't hunted the exact spot that you mentioned, but I know I guy who archery hunted there this year. He found it hard to get away from folks.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! Throughout the whole season you have been seeing more hunters or during a particular time? I was thinking about going first or second week in November.

Opening week of rifle is a zoo. Last week had the hills all to myself this year.

Have also seen a few more people, however most pretty much stay on there atvs or walk a half mile and sit by a tree, thats during rifle season. I have some friends that ventured out there during bow season and couldn't believe the amount of people, a week later another group I knew pretty much had the same area to themselves, it was even a weekend, they could count the people with one hand that they came across. You just have to make due with the circumstances you encounter, theres lots of dirt out there to get lost in.

Have also seen a few more people, however most pretty much stay on there atvs or walk a half mile and sit by a tree, thats during rifle season. I have some friends that ventured out there during bow season and couldn't believe the amount of people, a week later another group I knew pretty much had the same area to themselves, it was even a weekend, they could count the people with one hand that they came across. You just have to make due with the circumstances you encounter, theres lots of dirt out there to get lost in.

Thank you for your feedback!

I was amazed at the amount of hunters there this year. The only thing more amazing than the sheer numbers on opening week was the percentage that were actually in the woods vs driving the roads.

Back