Caribou Gear

Bear Skull Displaying

Brentster7189

I'd be curious to see how some of you display your bear skulls. Do you just put them up on the mantel, or do you have some kind of hanger for them on the wall? I'd just like to get some ideas on what I could do with mine.

Thanks.

I have a couple in my garage on a shelf. The other skulls I have given to my relatives.

Attachments

• skulls 003.JPG
    skulls 003.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,005
skull

I got a skull hanger from Wyoming556 that worked great.

Attachments

• bear1.jpg
    bear1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,063
A small sample of the collection I have. This is my latest display technique and works great in my stairwell.

Attachments

• P5160016.jpg
    P5160016.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,454
IMG_4622.jpg

It has a mirror on the back side, and is filled with river rock. Looks way better in person....

Bigwimm, from personal experience eventually the noses on those hides are probably going to rip. That's how I hung mine for years and eventually it ripped through. Lot's of pressure on a small area with pretty thin skin to start with.

Looks good now though.

I got the pedestals from www.vandykestaxidermy.com/

npaden - so I thought about that as an eventual possibility and tried to come up with some solutions. I used a 1 1/4" wooden door nob to hang them on hoping to spread the surface tension out. The tanner that I used has a big, for lack of knowledge and better terms, sowing machine for hides so I had him run a few stitches back and forth across the upper lip.

from your experiences, do you think that this may help? Otherwise I may need to figure out another way to reinforce them.

The stitches while the hide is still relatively fresh is a really good idea. The bigger the surface area on the knob to hang them from the better also. I don't remember what I hung mine on (mine is 25 years old now and ripped probably 10 or 15 years ago) but it wasn't that big. Also once it ripped no amount of stiching would work as the hide was too brittle by then and the thread just cut right through the hide.

I think you have a good chance to have them last a long time with the reinforced nose and the larger knob. When it was all said and done I ended up gluing my old hide to a southwest style blanket with hot glue as it had gotten so brittle that it tore if you looked at it wrong. They last a lot longer if they are rugged, but at the time I shot it I could barely afford to get it tanned.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back