Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bear on my kill site.

Brookie

Has anyone ever had issues with black bears getting into your kills? While I have seen bears many times while elk hunting in Colorado, I have only had one negative encounter over the years. I shot a bull late in the afternoon a long way from the truck. After gutting and skinning the bull and removing the quarters, I hiked out in the dark. The next morning I made the return trip (about three miles) with my pack and my father's pack.

The plan was for me to finish butchering the bull, take one trip out, and then go back out to meet with my father in the afternoon when he was finished hunting to each carry a load out on the return trip.At the truck in the morning I put both packs on my back, made sure I had game bags and other equipment, and then decided to leave my rifle in the truck to save on weight (stupid).

As I approached the north facing slope where the kill was located I started looking for the line of flag tape that I put up to make sure I could find my kill again. When I reached the tree where I had hung the furthest flag from the kill, I found it on the ground in tatters.

At first I thought another hunter was messing with me. Everyone hates to see that ugly tape hanging in the woods which is exactly why I always am sure to take mine down if I use it. When I got to the second flag location, again I found the flag in multiple pieces on the ground.I proceeded up the mountain and at every flag point the tape was destroyed. Now I was getting a little ticked off because if this other person did this to my whole line I might lose my elk. At about the fourth or fifth flag location I noticed something.

The flags had been chewed. Every one of them chewed to bits. What was chewing them? Certainly not another human. I immediately went from being ticked off to being a bit paranoid. I felt naked without a rifle in my mitts, but I was 2.5 miles away from it and wasn't about to go back. I found a stout stick about the size of a ski pole and about as thick as the handle on a canoe paddle. This I started to carry with me just to have something in my hands. I cautiously continued up the slope.

When I was 200 yards from the kill I stopped to listen and watch the open lodgepole above me. After a few minutes I heard a snap. In a few more moments I saw movement. However, it wasn't a bear, a lion, or a squach. It was a spike elk and it was standing within 20 yards of my dead elk. This brought me some comfort because I thought there was no way that elk would be standing there if any large predator was around. After watching the spike walk away I started for the kill again. I could tell from looking into the open timber that my last two flags were torn down, but the spike gave me confidence to continue. So I walked steadily up the slope, watching, listening, and clutching my stick.

At 100 yards from the kill there was a small knob in the slope that was covered in boulders and dead timber. At the base of the outcrop was a steep drop of about 15 feet. Once I had climbed up the steep drop I caught movement in the pile of boulders and dead timber. When I turned to look I was met with a snarling, pissed off, black bear that exploded out of the dead timber 50 yard away that ran directly at me down the hill. It only took a few seconds for the bear to make it down the hill but in memory it seems like those few moments lasted a lot longer. I remember a lot of details about those few moments.

I remember seeing the dirt breaking loose from the slope and rolling down in front of the bear, I remember it popping its teeth, and I remember noticing a big scar on its muzzle and wondering how he got it. If that bear had wanted to it could have kicked my ass. It came close enough that if I would have held my 270 I would have shot it. It was close enough to see the pupils of his eyes and to notice he had broken one of his lower canines. He also had a very large frame but looked skinnier than a bear should look in October, and had a grey face and muzzle.

Since he was up hill from me his snarling mouth was right in my face. All I could do was scream/yell and grip my stick like a baseball bat. Luckily, just out of stick range he stopped briefly, looked me in the eye, turned, and ran away.

He ran maybe 50 yards then stopped and looked back. I continued yelling and started smashing dead branches with my stick. The bear kept running down the mountain stopping several times to look back at me inquisitively.

When the bear was gone I sat for a while and shook from adrenaline. I contacted my father and told him what had happened. When we got to my bull later we found that the bear had only eaten the liver. I had plucked the heart from the gut pile the day before and set it in the ribcage. Strangely, MR. bear had stuck his head into the ribcage, took the heart out and walked it 20 yards away and set it on a rock without eating it. He must have been too busy chewing on all my flag tape.

I never go back to a kill without a weapon or spray anymore. In hindsight, I should have just called my dad and waited for him to show up with his 300 H&H before approaching the dead elk. Especially after noticing the chewed flag tape.

The bear was obviously very old, and I am lucky he wasn't quite cantankerous enough that day to want to chew my ass off. I like to imagine that he died in his den that winter and maybe some day I will find a bear skull with a broken lower canine on that north facing slope.

My last elk kill I had quartered out my bull and hung up in a pinion overnight so I could go back the next morning and debone and pack out. I was tired the next day and decided to leave my rifle and pistol back at camp and headed up with my llamas.

My cousin had taken a bull just the week before from this camp during muzzy season and had a mountain lion show up in camp he had to chase off. This area also has a healthy black bear population so not taking a firearm to my kill site wasn't smart.

I was busy deboning and the llamas started getting real nervous and I had a hard time containing and keeping them tethered. I suddenly became real aware there was something close even though I never spotted anything something was there. My task slowed way down because I was trying to contain the llamas and keep a watchful eye out. Anyway, I will NEVER go unarmed again especially going back to a kill site.

Shot a cow elk during archery in 2012. Got her at 11:00. I hauled all the meat to a meadow 75 yds from where she lay within an hr of killing her. Walked in for the third and final load at 2:30. As I was loading up the final load there was already a large black bear on the carcass, sadly, a week before bear season opened. He was huge, didn't care I was there and I had a rifle with me. Where I hunt there are a lot of predators so I don't pack meat without a rifle.

Never made it that far. About 15 years ago my bro went up early to set up camp because all of us were sucking wind with work and kids. Got a call from him the morning before I left. "Hey bring up another 5lbs of bacon and 2 doz eggs. Locked my weapons in the truck and was paid a visit about 2am. Crapped my pants and started making noise but didn't work. Bear was too intent knocking the cooler around on the ground to get to the bacon. Finally got quiet, was dressed by then and made a dash for the truck. WTF, no keys, back to tent, back to truck, bang, bang, bear gone. Started the fire went to the crapper (no weapon) heard a noise, kept hearing a noise. Did my duty, back to the camp, bang, bang, again GD bear was eating my bacon behind the crapper while I was in it." New guys hear this story every year and is still a tearful. Just about peed myself writing this.

Lost a front quarter and neck meat to a black bear that climbed a tree to get the last of my biggest mule deer to date. Followed its tracks into a bunch of brush and decided that without a firearm I wasn't going go any further. From then on I have made a point to have a firearm with me when I return to a kill site.

I've had black bears chew on at least 4 of my elk before I could get them fully packed out the following day, including in 1999, 2006, 2010, and 2013. Each time the bear was scared off by my approach but I never saw the bears. Lucky for them because I always carry a bear tag during elk season.

The '99 bear chewed on the liver and hauled off with the heart. The '06 bear ate a good part of the backstraps and some of the hind quarters. In 2010, there were several active bears and tracks on the trails leading to where I downed a cow elk. Anticipating that a bear would get to the meat, I tied the cut up legs and rib sections together with baling twine and neatly laid them out. Next day, the hide was gone, the pieces scattered but still tied together with only a few bites gone.

Last fall, I cut up my elk and laid the hide flesh side up so the birds could work on it. When I was busy packing the elk quarters to camp a bear had gotten to the carcass right before I arrived to carry out the 3rd and final load. Funny thing, on that last trip I left the rifle behind and meant to carry a sidearm but forgot and made the trip unarmed. As I approached the kill site I spoke words to warn any bear I was coming. Never saw the bear and it took me a few moments to realize the hide was pulled down the hill and fresh bear tracks were all over. I got lucky. The meat was in cloth sacks and the bear was more attracted to the meat and fat pieces on the hide.

A few years ago I killed a buck in archery season about 2 miles from my truck. About a mile info the drag I stopped to rest. Head down, sucking wind I hear something. I looked back down the trail and hear comes a large boar nose to the ground about 30 yards away, following my trail. I yelled and waved my bow and he wandered off. Before he did he just stared at me, I think deciding if it was worth the hassle. The last mile was done in record time! I went back later that day (with a pistol) and found that bear had followed me for close to a quarter mile.

While hunting near Steamboat Colorado,I talked to another hunter that had shot a bull near a wallow and on his last trip to pack out meat he run a bear off the carcass.He put up a tee stand and went back the next evening and killed a 340 pount black bear. I was at the check station when he brought in the bear,it was a beauty!+

While hunting near Steamboat Colorado,I talked to another hunter that had shot a bull near a wallow and on his last trip to pack out meat he run a bear off the carcass.He put up a tee stand and went back the next evening and killed a 340 pount black bear. I was at the check station when he brought in the bear,it was a beauty!+

I thought about going to town to see if it was possible to buy a leftover bear tag after my encounter. Is it even possible to buy a tag in Colorado during the open season? This was during second rifle elk.

My father had a big bear track him in the snow on the same slope where my story happened. He never saw it but I guess the tracks were massive, and not a grizzly. I think those Colorado bears get really big eating domestic sheep.

Some exciting stories. I would like to tell my own exciting bear story but it would be a completely fabricated lie.......so I'll just make sure I always have a gun or spray with me in bear country.

It amazes me how quick bears can find that stuff and eat it all. I had shot a spike bull awhile back in the Little Belts, was able to get it out whole that day... went back in the next afternoon to look for bear sign around the gut pile and the only thing left was the smell and the contents of the elks gut... Not one chuck of anything edible left... Bear tracks everywhere in that meadow. Was an eye opener for me since I hadn't been around bears much.

Never had a problem with Bears on a kill, although I have been back the next day to find wolf tracks everywhere.

Did have a black bear jump into a tree about 8 feet behind me once while fishing a mountain lake. He jumped onto the tree on the opposite side from me and I could see his hands and claws gripping the tree. Then poked his head around the tree to say hi. He was close enough and spooky enough that I reeled up and went back to my tent, where of course is where my pistol was.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back