Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bear guns for what its worth

Most notable: Law enforcement shot this bear and it "died" 20 yards from their position... I'll repeat for those lacking reading comprehension, Twenty YARDS. They did not wait until the grizzly was in range of bear spray. This bear was dead at 20 yards. They shoot at 25 yards? 30 yards? What is stated by Montana Government, the bear no mas life at 20 yards.

One downside to bear spray is wind. Looks like article says he didn't use spray because "For one thing, the prosecutor said Queen didn’t have enough time to drop his rifle: After being shot, the bear fell where the warden had been standing seconds before. Further, a strong wind was blowing at the bear’s back."

Exactly. Far too many variables may effect a person's use of spray.

Your quoted portion is from a diferent setting that occured with on duty warden/biologists - see other attached Montana FWP news release in my post. your comment relates to the off duty Wyoming Warden who was hunting when he shot/killed a griz.

As mentioned in my post for myself:

Reality? I typically carry both when in bear country.

Reasoning is simple: #1. Wind #2. Threat level and #3. Necessity for immediate action - what's most readily available.
As for Spray, there is a great record of events that strongly support the use of spray and if one is not comfortable with a handgun with repetition in the use - likely spray is the better option:
To each his/her own when deciding what is best to use in griz country. There is absolutely no law that says a person must carry bear spray and use first before a firearm. There is a law that does say a person may use deadly force if fear of serious injury or death may result...

Exactly. Far too many variables may effect a person's use of spray.

Your quoted portion is from a diferent setting that occured with on duty warden/biologists - see other attached Montana FWP news release in my post. your comment relates to the off duty Wyoming Warden who was hunting when he shot/killed a griz.

As mentioned in my post for myself:

I need some remedial reading comprehension lessons!

I don't think that fail was his fault though?
Shooting hot rounds of unknown quality through a cheap .50 with screw on breech...not saying it was totally his fault, but sure as heck isn't something I would try. Very lucky he survived that, but it got 38 million views, so I guess that's a win for a youtuber. 🤷‍♂️

Shooting hot rounds of unknown quality through a cheap .50 with screw on breech...not saying it was totally his fault, but sure as heck isn't something I would try. Very lucky he survived that, but it got 38 million views, so I guess that's a win for a youtuber. 🤷‍♂️
Stick an MG round in a glorified zip gun, hilarity ensues.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back