Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

bear clock

teamhoyt

I've been bear hunting for quite a few years but just wondering what times of the day everyone sees their bears. My experience has been that most of the activity is in the evenings with 4 o clock being when I kinda want to be in place at my look out. I've seen a few bear around noon to 2 p, and Ive seen a few mid morning. I'm just curious if that's fairly consistent with what most every notices. I never get up early to go bear hunting. does anyone else? I'm heading west the 17th and can't hardly stand it anymore so I figure if I can't hunt bear I might as well talk about hunting bear.

In my very limited experience bears show up right at "we're going to have to pack him out tomorrow o'clock"

Which makes bear hunting an awesome social event of late night campfire stories followed by slow mornings with lots of coffee.

Which makes bear hunting an awesome social event of late night campfire stories followed by slow mornings with lots of coffee.[/QUOTE]

^^^this. Which thankfully is just over a week away from reality!

Yeah, they're definitely a last light animal.

Weather has an impact also. If it's 40-50° and overcast, they'll be out in the middle of the day. All this 70°+ and sunny crap has had them pretty nocturnal though.

I gave up on mornings so long ago I honestly really don't know if they're good or not. It's been at least five years since I've been out looking in the morning in the spring for them.

I'm not sure if it's just our area or what, but first light has been very productive for us. Just like any other critter. The first 90 minutes of light they are out, then if your on the glass hard you can pick them out changing beds around 1-3ish and then they all seem to come out of the woodwork like ants from 6pm until last light.

The later in the season the better.

We have a good high glassing spot so you have a really good overview of a big drainage. You can easily glass 5+ bears from the same vantage point, but the stalks are very long so they are a PITA to kill. If only they would read the script and bed out in the open.

Last edited:
My buddy spotted one from his house last week early in the morning. When the sun hit him he went into the trees. For what that's worth. He also has more than a few trail cam pics of early morning bears on the bait as the sun comes up.I haven't ever seen one bear bright and early but I also like my sleep in time in the spring bear woods hahaha.

I have seen by far more bears in the last half of daylight.

For many years I did the early morning thing and decided best to sleep in or go fishing.

We can run trail cameras during season and I usually run 4 or 5 at a time during spring bear. I get a lot of pictures between 11:00am and 1:00pm and a lot between 6:00pm and dark. Most bears I kill at around 7:00 pm. The biggest I've killed which was a Booner died at high noon.

don't cut the mornings short,,Ive seen bears at 5;30 am more than a few times till sun up in the spring.whenever you can be looking in good areas keep looking.could be bear thirty at any time once that black stump moves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back