Bear activity in Montana

I heard a guy saw 3 bears out while riding horses down here in south central MT. There was another report of one right outside of down.

I heard a guy saw 3 bears out while riding horses down here in south central MT. There was another report of one right outside of down.

Nice, I am getting pumped for my spring bear hunt up there and its a month and a half away......

The Great Falls Tribune had an article the other day about Front Range grizzlies. IIRC, the sows were still in their dens (or nearby) while the boars were already moving. A fresh set of tracks in the article were confirmed to be that of a large grizzly.

I have some friends that work in Yellowstone, a few grizzly sightings in the last couple of weeks.

FWP was circling and hovering over my house and the immediate area looking for those 3 bears. They really want to see her, see if her eyes and mouth look to be intact. I hope she isn't too bad, I really don't want an irritated sow in the neighborhood. The bear guy put a camera on the carcass and caught another big boar the next morning. 4 g-bears in the neighborhood!!

Oh man, I got an earful yesterday. There is a mossy 500 persuader I saw in town for 350 bucks. Looked good to me. Holds 6 shots. Figure if you ain't gettin it done with 6, it aint getting done.

Anyone get out this weekend? Or have any luck today?

I went out on thursday and saturday and didnt see any sign in my spots but they were clear of snow and greening up, then it decided to snow yesterday and today so Im not sure how the bear action will be. It suppose to warm up next week so ill prolly head out then

FWP was circling and hovering over my house and the immediate area looking for those 3 bears. They really want to see her, see if her eyes and mouth look to be intact. I hope she isn't too bad, I really don't want an irritated sow in the neighborhood. The bear guy put a camera on the carcass and caught another big boar the next morning. 4 g-bears in the neighborhood!!
I found it here: http://www.kpax.com/news/flathead-hunter-has-close-call-with-half-ton-grizzly-bear/

I grew up south of there on Swan. It's amazing how many of those bears are in amongst the people there.

[ps... half-ton is roughly 400-500 pounds when you graduate from the UM school of journalism]

Last edited:
Tim Manley got a tip today from another turkey hunter that was following large griz tracks and two cubs just north of there. No blood in the snow, no sign of injury in gate. He heard her woof at him, and he turned around and barreled out of there. Hope she just keeps going north.

I have not laid eyes on a bear yet this spring, but I did come across these tracks on the 9th while shed hunting.

I think I need to train a shed hunting bear...the bear that left these tracks made it into every opening in that drainage before I did. I cut his tracks over 50 times that morning.
DSC09399.jpg

Saw my first bear of the year tonight! I'm in western MT not far from Missoula. It was a good looking bear, just didn't have time to make the 3hr hike it would have taken to get to him in the 1hr of daylight I had left.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back