baselayer bargains

I've been happy with several icebreaker pieces I have, as well as my smartwool socks. As far as the stink of poly goes, over time poly base layers and quick drying workout gear develop a funk if washed with regular detergents. I have found one detergent, Penguin Wash, that will get the funk out and prolong the useful time in the field before it really begins stink. I've found it at REI in the past. It is expensive for detergent, but it actually works. It has actually removed the funk from my cycling base layers which had developed an odor even when fresh from the laundry.

It won't due much for an extended trip if you're an odoriferous individual, but it should help you to get 2-4 days out of poly by actually giving you an odor free beginning. Penguin Wash works so well I wash my poly and merino bases in it and we wash all of our workout gear in the stuff too.

While I really want to try some woolies as a base layer, I get by pretty good with my current synthetics. I use a mismash of stuff from Patagonia and REI. I guess what I'm saying is that I would suggest getting some woolies if: a) you're not happy with your current setup and/or b) you have the 3 Bs dialed in. IMO, the 3 Bs (boots, binos, backpack) in that order are more important to get right first and will go the longest way for the $$ spent on a western hunt.

I've got Kuiu and Russell. Found the Russell on deep discount at Cabelas and have been happy with both. I use both weights of the Kuiu depending on season and weather.

I'd just look for some stuff on discount during the winter and roll with it. So many good options out there IMO. Camofire seems to have stuff pop up from time to time too.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back