baselayer bargains

VAspeedgoat

I have rescently been researching and puzzling over revamping my baselayers for my first mulie hunt this fall. I currently have both light and mid weight layers that are commmon synthetic baselayers. It doesn't take long to live up to the old adage of cotton kills synthetic stinks. Scent killer spray just doesn't seem to cut it. Consequently, it appears that I need to look at a marino wool or wool blend base.

My question to those of you who have experience with this, what brand names do you reccomend. It is easy for me to find them online but another to judge quality or value. Also are the wool blends or synthetics with some sort of scent control as good as the marino base layers. It is really hard for me to spend so much on "long johns" but I have no experience with ti make an informed decision on what to buy.

Thanks for any help or opinions

You'll get more experienced/informed opinions from others, but in my limited use of merino wool (after dumping the old cheap cotton long-johns) is that it is crazy expensive but much better performing. I've got some from Core4Element and Sitka, but my favorite base piece is a merino hooded top from Ibex. Last November hunting Montana during that polar-plunge cold spell I was very impressed with my Ibex top for comfort, warmth and lack of stink.

Went to dicks yesterday and got a under Armour base layer suit with scent lock on sale for $62 with tax. This is the second set I have and I love them.

I used to have all synthetics until after my first trip out west. I soon learned that crap all needed thrown out. I've been happy with several name brands, Sitka, Kuiu, First lite, Core4 & Minus33 to name a few. Yes, it's a little pricey but if you shop around you can find great deals, the wool is worth it to me, will never go back to synthetics. My favorite wool is Kuiu brand. Good luck.

There is no synthetic or blend as good as 100% Merino wool. Minus 33 is a quality product at a decent price. Not cheap, but worth it and not nearly as expensive as the "designer" hunting brands (Gucciflage).

Second the camofire comment. Picked up some core4 element merino wool last year and like it. It's been on there quite a bit lately. I also purchased some Smartwool brand merino wool from Sierra Trading Post and have been pleased.

Smartwool makes a decent product. Patagonia makes some good wool long handles of various weights too, but they are spendy. Firstlite is another one to check out, but also spendy (and hard to find). For synthetic, the Patagonia Capilene products are hard to beat.

Once you find a product you like, search for it on Amazon.com. I was able to find some screaming deals on close outs there. I got four sets of the Patagonia bottoms (two wool / two synthetic) for $30 each.

What i have gone to is synthetic long handle bottoms under my wool pants. For my upper layer I just wear an old school Pendleton wool shirt with nothing underneath it. It wicks moisture and breathes better that way. If it gets sweat soaked, I just take it off and shake it out and its dry in nothing flat. Best thing is that wool is way, way, way quieter than even the high dollar synthetic stuff. Plus, it doesn't get the stink to it that synthetics do.

I carry a 1,500 cubic inch climbing pack with a hooded wool jacket in it as a second layer, but I only put it on if I am still hunting or if I get really cold. I also carry a very lightweight Goretex shell top and bottom for wind and rain. I keep them vacuumed packed to reduce the bulk.

Last edited:
I would be scratching more than a dog with fleas if I tried putting on a Pendleton shirt with nothing on underneath! Holy Moly!

Smartwool has been good for me as it is durable, warm and doesn't stink. I have one Sitka merino base bottoms as well which is good too. My under armoir synthetics stink after one day. They are good for pheasant hunting around home and that is about it.

Www.steepandcheap.com almost always has awesome deals on merino if you're not stuck on one brand. Right now they have Smartwool and stoic. Most of my stuff is Smartwool and I've been very happy with it.

You're going to save a lot of money and find better sales I you stay away from hunting companies.

All good suggestions. I would also look at Icebreaker. Not a hunt specific company but they have broken into the market recently with a camo line. As with other merino wool offerings they certainly aren't cheap, but they are very nice in my opinion. Also, they just teamed up with cabelas to do a line of merino products. They look nice and definitely more hunt oriented. It is tough to spend the money on your base layers but, in my opinion, they are the most important part of your kit and the clothing items you will use the most! Good luck

I have Minus33, Core4Element, and First Lite. The First Lite is my favorite, by far, but holy crap is it expensive!! The Minus33 is very close to the first light and I have both their midweight and expedition weight. If they made it in camo, it's all I would own. My least favorite is the C4E. While still much better than synthetic or cotton, it tends to stink bad when it gets wet or when I sweat in it. As soon as it dries, it's totally odorless but very few days go by when I don't work up a sweat or get rained on at some point when I'm hunting.

First lite is my favorite for base layers. There have been a number of sales on first lite inventory over the past few weeks and I've been able to snag some deals on some shirts. The Llano is the lightweight shirt and the Chama is more mid weight. In early through mid season those layers have proved to be sufficient.

I have a bunch of Minus33 that I buy through Promotive. It's very good quality, and lasts forever. I wear the midweight tops and bottoms every day, all winter long. I'm on my third year with these with no real signs of wear. It doesn't get funky like polypro does.

I have a lot of different synthetics also, and I'll be replacing all of those with the Minus33 as they wear out.

I haven't found a bad brand. I have Stoic, Core4, FirstLite, Kuiu, Smartwool and Icebreaker. I will just repeat sources noted above. Sierra Trading, Steap and Cheap, and Camofire.

I would buy Patagonia and Minus 33 based on reports. Only time I buy camo layer is if I plan on wearing as a shirt when hot. (First Lite). Camo long johns are a joke IMHO.

I NEVER pay full price for any of those items. Be patient and you will find deals.

Some great advice in this post. Camofire is a great source for anyone to pickup otherwise expensive gear. I know that Midway USA just had a really good sale on First Lite, but haven't checked to see if that is still running. You have plenty of time between now and next season to some shopping and with patience, you should have no problem finding some sweet deals this spring.

You honestly can't go wrong with a quality merino so I definitely recommend shopping around for good bargains. That said, the cheaper merinos will go "limp" on you after some washing and wear, while the higher quality merinos will retain their shape and overall quality for much longer. I also recommend trying on some different baselayers from different companies as some merinos will itch the crap out of you while you won't even notice others. Barebow's comment above regarding camo is spot on. I only use camo baselayers for shirts and get a lot of use out of them hunting in the desert. Unless you are sharing your tent with some buxom huntress and want to impress her with a pair of designer camo bottoms, there is no need to fork over for camo bottoms. It seems that the solids are also more readily available on the sales markets. Whatever you go with, you will be more comfortable, scent free and quiet when wearing merino. That and merino doesn't seem to catch the glare or shine of synthetics.
-Cody

I get most stuff on sale in off season. Bargain cave/barns Sierra Trading post etc. you gotta luck out on size.
Merino is great,I have Smartwool.
Patagonia Capelene is good stuff, as are some of REI's synthetics.
I use some Cabellas Realtree base layers too w/microfleece for cold.
Super thin silk types are great for cooling /early warm season.Those are camo. Different ones work for different days.

I run into hunters w/UU ,wally world stuff,and they smell like a gym..........

Last edited:
I used to have all synthetics until after my first trip out west. I soon learned that crap all needed thrown out. I've been happy with several name brands, Sitka, Kuiu, First lite, Core4 & Minus33 to name a few. Yes, it's a little pricey but if you shop around you can find great deals, the wool is worth it to me, will never go back to synthetics. My favorite wool is Kuiu brand. Good luck.

This

Merino is the only way to go! I have first lite and Core 4 Element. The Core 4 holds up much better. Going to be buying Kuiu this year to give it a try but will probably buy some more Core 4 for under shirts in colder weather.

Ice Breaker and Smartwool +++
I've got piles of the synthetic stuff gathered up over the years, but the stink they seem to harbor was killing me. When I got my first baselayers of merino wool, I was sold out. Now I've got many, in different weights. I buy almost all of mine from Sierra Trading Post. They're over-the-top with their emails, but it has paid off for me.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back