Yeti GOBOX Collection

Badlands and Cabela's Packs

Wisco

Looking for my first pack and hoping you guys could offer some advice. Planning to use this as my only pack so priority will be to be able to hall game out (so long as I can get one ;) ). I'm planning to do mostly day hunts but might do spike-camps if necessary.

In an effort to stay on the cheaper side, I'm looking at a couple of packs that I haven't seen many reviews for on here so far. Any thoughts/reviews on the following bags would be much appreciated.

1) Badlands 2200 ($280 - but I can get a pretty large discount from my buddy): I've read a lot of good reviews for this pack but am worried about size (2250 CI) and zippers (I've read they are prone to failure).

2) Cabela's Minimalist ($315): Haven't heard/read much about this bag. Seems that people like it and its size (3500 CI) though.

3) Cabela's Alaskan ($170): I've seen a couple comments on here that people like this bag but it's pretty basic. But at 3700 CI and almost half the price of the Minimalist, is it a good enough deal that I don't mind the lack of bells and whistles?

Please feel free to comment on any other packs that fit this profile.

Thanks!

I have the Alaskan II and I like it. That being said I have not had to pack any animals out with it and it has only been on day hunts where I have used it. I am not sure if they make the II or not anymore. I have the badlands large fanny pack. I know it is not what you are looking at but the quality of that pack I have really enjoyed.

I have both of those packs and have no complaints. The badlands 2200 is a great pack but I would not want to use it to pack a whole Elk. I am using the badlands for my day pack and to carry one load out and then use the external frame pack to finish the job. The external frame is much more suited for carrying a heavy load if you ask me.

I own a Badlands and have had zipper pulls come off. But, I have been able to easily fix them using other cord so they still work.

I started a thread on the Bowsite last year about "One pack that does all". After dozens of threads, I investigated Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, EXO and others. I wound up buying a used EXO 3500 for about $400 with a few extras (belt pouch and load shelf). This is more than the $315 you list, above, for the Cabelas Minimalist but its a pack that you can use for anything short of a 2 week expedition!

I used it for a CO elk hunt where we backpacked in with about 6-7 days worth of stuff as well as for my day pack. The pack worked well, but unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to test it with a heavy meat load.

I have a Alaska freighter and have used it packing on a trail & without the bag to haul game out game.
Learned a long time ago to ditch the frame pack off trail or hunting. Hate getting hung up constantly.
Use a E-stock J104 or MR crewcab for hunting.
The J104 for pack in's more. cost me $180 new The MR $100 used.

+1 to what C17... stated.

I have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab w/ Nice frame, a freighter frame, and just purchased a used Badlands 2200 from a friend. The Myster Ranch Crew Cab is definitely heavier and more cumbersome, but well worth it if you get an animal down while hunting. The MR is made for hauling out heavy loads with as much "comfort" as one might expect with a heavy load. The Badlands 2200 is a very good pack and fits much nicer for hunting up and down the mtns. My brother and friends have 2200's and they have used them to haul out elk. It can be done.

If price is your concern . . . . I would recommend the Badlands 2200 for what you described.

Good luck.

If price is a concern, you are much better off getting a used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Mystery Ranch, or Kuiu than any of the packs you have listed. There are some good deals on used packs out there and you'll get twice the pack for the same money as a new one of lesser quality. I wasted a lot of money on crappy packs before finally doing what I should have right off the bat, which was get a good one.

If price is a concern, you are much better off getting a used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Mystery Ranch, or Kuiu than any of the packs you have listed. There are some good deals on used packs out there and you'll get twice the pack for the same money as a new one of lesser quality. I wasted a lot of money on crappy packs before finally doing what I should have right off the bat, which was get a good one.

^this...you're going to have to hit several forums daily to find it but you'll be glad you spent the time. If you're a bigger person you may struggle to find a deal but they are out there.

I understand the want of a cheaper pack. We in fact do as someone else mentioned and all have BL 2200's for day packs and get the frames out if we get one down and have no problem at all. The reason that works is because we are wall tenting it at a trail head and hiking in everyday. You can do better on the pricing of a BL2200 if you look around. Think I paid 150 for mine off of camofire.

I'm fairly confident that if you go with any of the packs you listed for everything route you won't be happy once you put a real load on it. I drew short straw on a big bull my buddy killed last fall and packed out a 2200 full of boned out meat. I'll just say it sucked real real bad and it wasn't to far or steep. A bone in front quarter would have not been as bad but still no fun.

There's a reason you don't see the guys on here talking about badlands and Cabela's packs.....

...+1...

Bought the MR NICE 6500 in 2009 (do not see in at their current website) at a trade show where was fitted by the designer and the comfort as meshes to my back is amazing. I have packed with a confirmed 90 pounds in the pack and then the pack weight plus a rifle on my shoulder and 3 liters of water as started the hike. Hiked 6 miles to my spike camp on switchbacks. No way I could have done that with any other pack I have used and not had sore shoulders for a week. 90 feels like 50.

There may be a better pack out there today. I have 2 goat hunts, 2 sheep hunts and several hunts for elk, deer and pronghorn since then and not a single stitch has popped on the pack. Find a pack that is as comfortable as the pack I found and your hunts will be more enjoyable once you get beyond 50 pounds in your pack. As for budget, I would cut back in other areas before I sacrifice comfort in my pack, sleeping bag or sleeping pad.

Thanks for the input guys, I've been trying to find used packs but most of the ones I've found are priced about the same as the new ones. I'll continue to be on the lookout but am accepting I might just have to invest in a good pack above my initial budget. But after mplane pointed out camofire, I've been on that site every day. What great deals! Hoping that may lead to an opportunity at a pack, or at least free up budget that I can then spend on a pack. Thanks again.

The thing about all these nice packs is guys know what they have and you don't find many "deals".

Try the Marine ILBE pack. No experience with it, but I think it looks like it would be better than the Badlands for hauling weight. And I've seen them used at pawn shops for between $50-$100.

Thanks for the input guys, I've been trying to find used packs but most of the ones I've found are priced about the same as the new ones. I'll continue to be on the lookout but am accepting I might just have to invest in a good pack above my initial budget. But after mplane pointed out camofire, I've been on that site every day. What great deals! Hoping that may lead to an opportunity at a pack, or at least free up budget that I can then spend on a pack. Thanks again.

I have a badlands 2800 and find it great for the 1-2 good day hunts. It rides fantastic w/ good water bladder, exterior packs that cinch for bringing meat out and has the handgun holster built into the hip belt (both sides) with a bow/rifle pack setup.
I also have the Badlands Summit for multi day pack. A very light weight pack for the size.

The main reason I value and stick with Badlands equipment (binocular chest holster as well and some clothing) They 100% BACK UP THEIR PRODUCT! No, if, ands or buts about it... The top of the top for lifetime warranty company offers, in my opinion.
A short story: I went to set up my gear for the year to find a darn mouse/rat whatever it was burrowed a hole into the base of my pack. I called them, shipped my pack and within a week they opted to immediately ship a brand new pack to replace. I would have been happy as heck to see it patched however the darn rodent chewed through right at a stress seam area.

Badlands warranty said:
http://www.badlandspacks.com/warranty

We don't care what happened, or whose fault it was, we will fix it for free forever. We could care less if you bought it at a garage sale or a gear swap, as long as it says Badlands, it's covered. All we ask is that you use and abuse your pack as much as possible so we can learn how to make our products even better.

Anyhow, my experience with the quality they provide and their confirmed interest to back their product - Hands down! Great products from a great company!

Last edited:
I have really been dragging my feet on getting it posted on here, but I have a Mystery Ranch Longbow with waistbelt pockets in Optifade that I am thinking about selling. It has Medium yoke and small waistbelt. For reference I am 5'11" & 185lb with about 33" waist.

I have a Badlands Superday pack. The pack itself is fine, gun holder is fine and durability is really good. The zippers are horrible. Hard to open and you cannot open the waist pouches with the pack on. Two of my zippers broke and I sent the pack and they fixed them free of charge ( my pack is 5 years old) and returned it fast. So, for durability, comfort, medium load carrying and customer service I would give then an A. But I am switching over to a Kuiu pack because I just cant stand the horrible zippers on my Badlands.

Messing around with packs that cost less than MR, EXO, Stone Glacier, Kuiu or similar is just delaying buying the right pack for western hunting and forcing you to keep or sell lesser packs in the mean time. I messed around with a bunch of cheap solutions, my existing hiking backpack, a packframe, a day pack before buying a Mystery Ranch Metcalf and never looking back. I did significant packouts with all the designs and the Mystery Ranch pack will comfortably carry whatever weight you can manage to stand up with.

The advice of spending money on boots, packs and optics never gets old or looses relevance.

I've used an Alaskan for years in multiple scenarios - packing out meat, packing gear, or whatever. It's been a real workhorse for me. It's pretty simple and devoid of bells and whistles, but it's sturdy, comfortable, and gets the job done.

I use a 2200 for my daypack/first pack out and a Kelty Cache Hauler for the remainder. The 2200 works but it's not pleasant with a heavy load.

I have a Easton pack that cost me about $70 that would do the job the same as these others till you can afford something like MR, Kifaru and so on.... 300 for something they say will not be good for a pack out might not be the better option. I was in the same situation and went with this pack. The heaviest load was around 60lbs but you would not want this to be a full time pack. The upper end bags are life time packs and are designed to not fail when you need them the most. I have had my Easton for 2 years and has been on over 100+ hunts. I'm not saying the others you have mentioned are bad packs, just saying if you want an upper end pack, the Easton may help you save money and get to the nice packs quicker and get you hunting. Good luck in your search.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back