Bad start to a new day

utah400elk

I am not sure where to post this but it is really bugging me...This morning I was headed to a meeting at Hoover Dam. While on the way there, I watched a young Desert BH ram walk to the side of the road. All the traffic slowed with the noticeable exception a a Mercedes SUV. The young ram decides to cross and almost everybody sees it coming. The guy in the Mercedes SUV switched lanes to avoid slowing and tags the ram. Not 50 yards away I had to watch the ram spin off to the side of the road with what appeared to be a broken back (he was desperately trying to run off with only the front legs). I know it was an accident but an avoidable one where a coveted animal was lost. The worst part was the guy in the Mercedes never even stopped. I forwarded his plate info to the officer who arrived on scene within minutes.

Like I said, bad start to a new day

Seen it happens many times. Some folks are all about themselves and are pretty clueless what is going on around them. And...... they could care less.

Seen it happen happen along Hwy. 93 near N. Fk., Idaho. Not sheep, but blue grouse. They like to tie up traffic on the highway and everyone knows it and they slow/stop to let the birds get out of the way, except some folks that just mow them down. Never seen it happen, but every day on the way to or from work there's more bodies on the highway in the summertime. Bummer.

Saw this happen on route 200 in NW Montana between a Washington state driver in his SUV and a ewe and lamb big horn sheep. The Wash. driver was speeding at over 75 mph on a 65 mph posted highway. The lamb crossed the road to get to grass on the shoulder the vehicle hit the ewe as she crossed to be with the lamb. We were stopped at approx. 100' on the opposite side, taking pictures of this ewe and lamb, watching as this happened. The driver hit the ewe, continued approx. 1/4 mile and then stopped. The ewe flew across the both lanes and came to a stop under the front of my Geo Tracker. Thankfully it did not come thru our windshield. The driver, that hit the ewe, walked back and claimed he never saw the sheep. There are flashing signs at both ends of this area warning of bighorn sheep possibly being present on this stretch of 15 miles and the speed limit is lower, at 65mph, than the normal 70mph. The ewe was hit in the middle/rear and her spine broken and had consummate internal bleeding. We contacted the MT highway patrol and waited until they arrived. There was little that could be done for the ewe and she was put down by the officer. This was an unnecessary tragedy that could have been avoided by the Wash. state driver if he had merely removed his head form his rectum and paid full attention to the road conditions. The driver was cited for speeding, failure to control his vehicle and think another. He should have been cited for gross stupidity and lack of commonsense. My rant. MTG

Theres been lots of work done on the highway south of Hoover Dam. Several sheep overpasses have been installed to stop some of that and also allow the sheep to move freely between the two units the highway divides.

Anytime you have idiots behind the wheel that arent paying attention this type of stuff is bound to happen.

I believe a vast majority of the roadkill happens via semi's....those bastards dont even tap the breaks to avoid piling through deer, elk, pronghorn, etc. I've seen that multiple times on I-80, etc.

Theres been lots of work done on the highway south of Hoover Dam. Several sheep overpasses have been installed to stop some of that and also allow the sheep to move freely between the two units the highway divides.

Anytime you have idiots behind the wheel that arent paying attention this type of stuff is bound to happen.

I believe a vast majority of the roadkill happens via semi's....those bastards dont even tap the breaks to avoid piling through deer, elk, pronghorn, etc. I've seen that multiple times on I-80, etc.

"The sun was in my eyes"

http://m.billingsgazette.com/news/s...11de-99a3-001cc4c03286.html?mobile_touch=true

Back