Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

B&C Awards book MT elk

I hope Greenhorn's right, cause I haven't been able to run more than 2 miles in the last two years, when I hurt my IT bands packing out a bull in two trips.

Nice writeup by the way, made even me want to go elk hunting!

Carl, i had IT band problems in a horrible way. Got them taken care of though, send me a PM if you want some suggestions.......

I thought i was doing pretty good keeping up with Greenhorn on a bear hunt a couple yrs ago, that was until i realized he had packed us up a bunch of beer and enough chit in his pack to survive a month:) And i had pretty much my water, a knife, and my tag:)

That was a pretty good write up Greenhorn. Thanks for sharing, although you might enjoy telling the story just the same. As so many others have said, "What a great season you had".

Trying to decide where to go in addition to Colorado - was thinking AZ or NM - think I will look at MT again. Great Bull, congrats.
Ron

A perfect bull in every way! That is what every hunter dreams about look at throught their scope one day. Congratulations on a rare trophy.

Is this the year you pull that AZ archery tag? You wll be in the land of giants and have a realistic chance of topping this one.

Great, great bull and an excellent story to match.

You certainly earned it thru hard work and a generous act wrt giving your buddy first crack at a beast.

If you ever feel the need to take someone else to give leftovers to, give me a shout. ;) Hurry, though. My generous offer expires in 2036.

Very cool write up.

Thanks for sharing the details and thought processes leading up to the hero shots. It's always interesting to hear how folks think.

Congrats again on the great bull!

Great story to go with a great bull GH. You stated it was a relatively easy elk but when you say you packed back in beyond where most hunters go in knee deep snow and on your own..... I say you put a great effort into the hunt that all elk hunters should. I truely believe an elk should be earned.......you earned him GH.....my hat's off to ya!!

God I hate to say this due to GH's tapewormed ego but here goes....I lurk quite a few hunting boards, read a lot of hunt recaps, look at many impressive animals. Year in and year out there's no one who puts up Pete Rose numbers like Greenhorn.

Math error. Final is 370 0/8 gross, and 360 3/8 net, sliding in by the hair on his chiny-chin-chin..
What are the measurements on Burt and Ernie's bulls? The bitterroot butt-pirates who both shot big booner bulls.

Congrats again Kurt on the bull. Great story to go along with it.

I think Kurt is a top of the food-chain hunter. I know hunters who are in the internet hunting world and hunters who've never been to a hunting website. Some are at Kurts level but none are any better.

Math error. Final is 370 0/8 gross, and 360 3/8 net, sliding in by the hair on his chiny-chin-chin..
What are the measurements on Burt and Ernie's bulls? The bitterroot butt-pirates who both shot big booner bulls.

Do know a good measurer? I have had some bad experiences with missoula headquarters.

Fred King and Roger Selner are both excellent measurers and great to visit with. Fred is all about precision and teaches you how to properly measure stuff, every time he does it. Fred measured my elk and I would bet if he measured it again, he come up with the same score to the 1/8 inch. Roger is also very experienced, and usually has a trailer or shed full of unreal mule deer heads to drool at while he's taping stuff. I squeaked 3 animals into the B&C awards book this fall, with a whopping total of 5/8 of an inch extra to spare across all of them.

I still lost the big deer, elk, and antelope bet to a friend of mine in Wyoming. We bet an annual case of beer per species, and I seem to always loose. He shot a 383 elk, 198 mule deer, and a 80 inch pronghorn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back