AZ Tag Surrender with Point Reinstatement

Biscuit Hunter

It's been a long time in the works, but the option is now official starting with this draw cycle. They are calling it "Point Guard." You pay a five dollar fee at the time of application and if you need to turn in your tag you can do so up to the day before the start of the hunt. You get back the points you burned, plus the point you would have gotten had you been unsuccessful in the draw. There are more details here:

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/pointguard/

And just a reminder that the deer/sheep deadline is coming up-- Tuesday, June 14.

Last edited:
I know at least one guy that is going to love this, with his entire family of non-hunters building points to share with him...

Not a fan of that change at all. Lots of tags will be going back when folks can't find the size of critter they hope for during scouting.

The problem with PP's is people think they are owed more for these imaginary coupons and eventually the state has to bend backwards for the points holders. I understand that it really sucks to have to plan 6 months to a year in advance for hunts, but you see the same thing with a lot of events anymore where it isn't wake up and decide what you feel like doing today.

Its gonna get abused pretty badly, I only hope there is some means of offering the tags so they don't go unused when there is a 10-20 year wait list to get one.

At least it is limited to one use before you must burn the points for that species.

Not a fan of that change at all. Lots of tags will be going back when folks can't find the size of critter they hope for during scouting.

yeah or oh crap it's gonna monsoon the entire week i'm there, just gonna return this tag and get it next year.....

That crazy, I wonder if there will be any way for these tags to go back into the pool? A day in advance is a bit much but there may be some locals that could take advantage.

I know at least one guy that is going to love this, with his entire family of non-hunters building points to share with him...

Nowhere does it say one person will accrue all the bonus points of the party application.

Nowhere does it say one person will accrue all the bonus points of the party application.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

He has a bunch of family members that he has been building points for, for many years. He applies with one of them as a party and their points get averaged out. When they draw he pays for their license and goes hunting by himself, and then moves on to the next family member. With this new system he'll be able to do this twice with each family member while he keeps building points for the rest of them. It may not work for units like 9 or 23, but it allows a person to hunt a mid-level unit like 7E quite often. As a resident it's not all that expensive to do, either.

I have no idea how common it is, but it definitely happens and this will make it easier to do.

Hopefully they find a way to give the tags out when they are returned so that they aren't going to waste.

Yep, there always will be those that work the system, any system. We shall see how it all plays out ...

That said, there are qualified non-profit programs that can take the tags turned back in and do some real good with them (the tag holder may designate the program). Specifically, the Arizona Elk Society's "Hunts for Heroes" is having a positive impact on veterans' lives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJCs_eT7jM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

He has a bunch of family members that he has been building points for, for many years. He applies with one of them as a party and their points get averaged out. When they draw he pays for their license and goes hunting by himself, and then moves on to the next family member. With this new system he'll be able to do this twice with each family member while he keeps building points for the rest of them. It may not work for units like 9 or 23, but it allows a person to hunt a mid-level unit like 7E quite often. As a resident it's not all that expensive to do, either.

I have no idea how common it is, but it definitely happens and this will make it easier to do.

Hopefully they find a way to give the tags out when they are returned so that they aren't going to waste.

This doesn't change the rules for tag transfer. The only time you can give a tag to a specific family member is as a parent, grandparent, or guardian, giving the tag to a minor child. This has been allowed for years. The way I read the new program-- this will not qualify you for point reinstatement. In the link I provided it states that to qualify for your points back, you either give the tag to Game and Fish for them to reissue, or you donate it to an approved charity.

We'll have to see how it all plays out, but I doubt that a lot of people will do this. Most people are just excited to finally have a tag. With all the talk of good years and bad years, there are good animals in AZ every year. And for tags that do go back for the reasons that you mentioned, well, at least the tag will go to someone that is happy to have it.

We'll have to see how it all plays out, but I doubt that a lot of people will do this. Most people are just excited to finally have a tag. With all the talk of good years and bad years, there are good animals in AZ every year. And for tags that do go back for the reasons that you mentioned, well, at least the tag will go to someone that is happy to have it.

I'm curious to see how this shakes out. I would totally take advantage of it this year if possible as I mistakenly put down a cow tag for my second choice. That in an of itself wasn't a big deal until my wife drew Idaho moose and she won't be able to take time to hunt both. I'd keep my cow tag.

This doesn't change the rules for tag transfer. The only time you can give a tag to a specific family member is as a parent, grandparent, or guardian, giving the tag to a minor child. This has been allowed for years. The way I read the new program-- this will not qualify you for point reinstatement. In the link I provided it states that to qualify for your points back, you either give the tag to Game and Fish for them to reissue, or you donate it to an approved charity.

I don't think you understand how they are doing it. They are not transferring any tags. A non-hunting friend or family member with a bunch of points applies with a hunting family member/friend so that the average of their points allows them to draw tags. The hunter pays for the non-hunters tag which, in the past, just got tossed in the trash. Now it can be returned, the non-hunter gets their points reinstated, (one time deal) and the next year they do the exact same thing.

I know for a fact it happens right now, and I think this change will encourage even more people to do it.

Back