MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Audad questions?

cgasner1

How big are these things I was told the size of a cow elk they look more like a mule deer to me. Are they any good on the plate or what are you guys doing with the meat?

Ha ha. No they're the size of regular goats. Billy's can be a bit gamey, but made burger out of a nanny mixed with beef fat and you couldn't tell it wasn't regular burger. Delicious.

How big are these things I was told the size of a cow elk they look more like a mule deer to me. Are they any good on the plate or what are you guys doing with the meat?
Mix the meat with pork, add spices, add a lacto culture if you like, smoke it, and you'd never know it was sheep....

Attachments

• PXL_20230904_004358622~2.jpg
    PXL_20230904_004358622~2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230904_183853565~2.jpg
    PXL_20230904_183853565~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230819_153545746~2.jpg
    PXL_20230819_153545746~2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
I'd say even smaller than a mule deer. I hunted them in Texas last winter and it was kind of sad to see people waste them. I think its just a cop out for people that don't want to pack the meat out. I kept all the meat on mine and think it tastes fine.

I've eaten em and they're actually good. Wasn't sure what we were gonna get but I threw some basic seasoning on it and everyone liked it.

We drew tags then after looking into the unit a little harder I ended up hiring a guide money wise to vacation spent plus fuel and travel it just made more sense.
He told me they where more like cow elk size than deer so I was curious

I don’t think that guide has messed with many cow elk? I’ve worked on 2 in the past couple of years in the taxidermy shop. The first one was a ewe from NM that was like any average texas whitetail buck. The one I did last month was a 40” ram from down around the big bend and he was significantly larger, I’d guess he was likely 220-230 live weight. Good sized, but much smaller than a cow elk.

I wanna say that he said the bigger rams where around 250# live

In Texas, they don't get nearly as large as some folks say. I've never seen one over the size an Angus bull.
QzeFf7Ll.jpg

Definately smaller than an Angus bull, and a lot smaller than a cow elk.

Looking more antelope size to me thanks guy’s appreciate it

I’d be leery of a guide who tells me conflicting info. He is saying the bigger rams are around 250 but also the same size as a cow elk?

Not a lot I can do about that now it’s booked and paid for my first time hunting with a guide so we will see how it shakes out. Kinda funny last night my buddy commented on how he was curious to see how I liked hunting with one since I do fairly well solo. The unit I drew is heavily checkerboarded so if they know how to access it and are feeding me and providing somewhere to stay im not to worried it’ll be worth the money I spent for that

Looking more antelope size to me thanks guy’s appreciate it
The rams are pretty stocky. I've packed whole (but gutted) buck antelope out on my back, and there's no way I could have carried this aoudad out whole. I'd guess they're abouot the same height as a pronghorn but probably twice the weight.

When I shot my aoudad, my guide said that they were very hard to kill, and to shoot him in the hind quarters to break his legs and put him down. That was my first hunt with my .300 Weatherby, so I put my crosshair just behind his shoulder, and he was a bang flop dead. My guide commented afterward "You don't listen to your guide, do you?" and I smiled and replied "No".

The rams are pretty stocky. I've packed whole (but gutted) buck antelope out on my back, and there's no way I could have carried this aoudad out whole. I'd guess they're abouot the same height as a pronghorn but probably twice the weight.

When I shot my aoudad, my guide said that they were very hard to kill, and to shoot him in the hind quarters to break his legs and put him down. That was my first hunt with my .300 Weatherby, so I put my crosshair just behind his shoulder, and he was a bang flop dead. My guide commented afterward "You don't listen to your guide, do you?" and I smiled and replied "No".
That is probably the best explanation I’ve got from what I can tell from pictures just a much heavier antelope I know a guy with 2 mounted he just got back I’m gonna go look at them thanks

I boned mine out and packed it out in one load with no issues, and I'm not a very big guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back