Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ATVs and elk

Originally posted by Ithaca 37:
This is in Sportsman's Issues.

> Elk began moving when ATVs were as far away as 2,000 yards but tolerated hikers to within 500, horseback riders within 800 and bicyclists within 1,300 yards. Elk run from ATVs but tend to walk away from hikers unless startled at close range.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny how I have 100s of pictures of Elk in early July in the Sawtooths after calving and they don't seem to run away. These pics are from maintained roads and trails too. They seem to me more spooked when you get off yer ATV or hike than anything else. I think yer study is bullshit from what I have EXPERIENCED FIRST HAND FOR THE LAST 20 years and I'm now 32. Here are a few pics to prove my point. These people feed Elk here in Idaho up off the Gold Fork during the winter since the F&G won't help these animals out. They are in Donnelly Idaho, the Elk will feed off of the "HORSE" drawn sleighs but if anyone "People" step off they will run like hell! If you don't believe me call and talk to them, Joe & Vicki Eld 1-208-325-8876 or go see for yerself. They have done this for over 15 years, so I'd say their study is a little better than yer caged bullshit! Yes it may be during winter when they need food. But their flight instinct is instilled in them no matter what the circumstances, so with both studies having some flaws at least these are free ranging!

55ea.jpg

82a5.jpg

c7e5.jpg

[ 04-09-2004, 21:59: Message edited by: Wapiti Slayer ]

Wap., You said you're at the grand old age of 32 years and you've been "wandering for 32 years in Idaho backcountry" ! Since the day you were born, huh! :D :D There's so much you don't know, I wouldn't know where to start, but you might go back and read the posts from the beginning of this topic for some basic education about ATVs and big game. And don't bother telling us your little anecdotes and expect to gain any credibility!
yawn.gif
You're dealing here with people who were hunting elk and deer before you were born! :D

Hey Wapiti Slayer!!!
You have some great points and a good way with them, but every time you start with the name calling, any gains are totally lost. I'm in your boat on these ideals, but all credibility is lost and so is the argument when you resort to this type of tactics....
If you wouldn't mind, just keep it very civil and hang in their, let every one else resort to the grade school play ground banter and let them look like the ignorant ones... ;)

Wapiti Slayer,

I'd be pretty cautious of making assumptions about people on this board.

I've seen enough of Ithacas pictures to know he isnt afraid to get off the trail...

Some of the areas he's been would make the Frank Church look like a walmart parking lot.

Originally posted by Ithaca 37:
Wap., You said you're at the grand old age of 32 years and you've been "wandering for 32 years in Idaho backcountry" ! Since the day you were born, huh! :D :D There's so much you don't know, I wouldn't know where to start, but you might go back and read the posts from the beginning of this topic for some basic education about ATVs and big game. And don't bother telling us your little anecdotes and expect to gain any credibility!
yawn.gif
You're dealing here with people who were hunting elk and deer before you were born! :D
Listen dumbass! I hunt the Frank Church as much as I can. I don't have the big problem with ATVs you do because I'm not afraid to Hunt across country away from trails. So obviously you are scared to hunt to far from TRAILS so you don't get lost or something. You have never hunted with me, don't know me, so you can kiss my ass.

[ 04-10-2004, 07:39: Message edited by: Wapiti Slayer ]

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back