ATV Educationg

ELKCHSR

SPRING IS A GOOD TIME TO REVIEW OHV SAFETY AND ENSURE YOUR OHV IS REGISTERED AND LEGAL

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks reminds Off-Highway Vehicle users that spring is a good time to brush up on OHV safety and the laws.

To assist OHV riders in preparing for the riding season, FWP has produced a handy pocket-sized brochure summarizing the OHV laws; required fees, decals and registration; safety tips; grant programs for OHV trails; and OHV contacts in Montana. The brochure is available at all FWP and County Treasurers' offices.

FWP also offers an All-Terrain Vehicle safety home-study course at no charge. The driver safety training is a well-rounded orientation to ATV use in Montana, including assessing risks and how to reduce them; basic riding skills; and how to handle different terrains and unexpected situations.

A print copy of the home-study training manual and course materials can be ordered by calling FWP at 406-444-7317, by email to [email protected] or on the FWP web site at www.fwp.state.mt.us on the Education page under Outdoor Skills.

-fwp-

Good deal.

I kind of thought this very worthwhile mentioning, since there is so much controversy over it and here is a very worthwhile approach to rectifying some, maybe not all of the problems associated with this. It may be a good thing to look at and see if you guy's can get your states to adopt such an approach, unless of course it is already in place, then there should be no arguments over the alleged (I took that word from our esteemed media LOL…) damage ATV's do or don't cause. If I can catch any one breaking the laws in the forests, I will also call the 1800TIPMONT hot line and fix it. Instead of you guy's doing a battle of wits over this type of stuff, why not get this kind of stuff enacted and move on with more important issues...

The atv issue isnt even close to being solved, and its one of the biggest issues facing hunting in most western states.

Idaho has the right idea, ban the use of them during hunting seasons.

Originally posted by BuzzH:
The atv issue isnt even close to being solved, and its one of the biggest issues facing hunting in most western states.

Idaho has the right idea, ban the use of them during hunting seasons.
I don't have a problem with banning them "while hunting" or hunting off them. But there is no way they can watch everyone and keep a close eye on it. Banning them for retrieving game or getting to a hunting spot isn't right. Maybe the "during certain hours" thing can work too. I have a few spots that are only accessible from a Horse or ATV, or if you can walk 16 miles and pack out an animal that far! It is an old logging road getting there but closed to normal vehicles. This is the only road in and the rest is all Timber!

[ 04-17-2004, 18:41: Message edited by: Wapiti Slayer ]

Wapiti,

Why do you need to go in 16 miles to your spot??? If they banned the ATVs, would the hunting be better in the first 2 miles????

I think a lot of us go to extremes, to get away from the Fat-Assed ATV riders or to get to where the animals have been pushed by all the buzzing around by the Fat-Assed ATV riders.

We almost hunt exlusively "across the river", as the ATV's can't seem to get there. And we can carry everything out on our backs.

Well it's not near as nasty and steep when you get up on top and most of the lower terrain is Deer Country. Elk seem to hang out up high here and there are lots of springs with water. There are a million exceptions to this but this one you really need an ATV to get to. It'd just be impossible to hunt it without one and takes to long with a horse. I'm sure there are areas where not using them would be fine but up where I hunt you really need one for access.

So what's wrong with Montana jumping into the fray with an actual set of rules and advertise the fact. Seems that when it started to be advertised not to throw your garbage every where it slowed down some, I can vouch it hasn't put an end to it, but it is a lot less than I remember visiting some of these places growing up. The same goes for these motorized go buggies, get the education out there, get people to start turning in those that cross the line when they get caught, and yes eventually they will get caught, they all seem to after a fashion. As I have stated before, I don't mind them out there, they have thier places, I just choose to frequent those areas they are not allowed and we just don't have any problems...

I love to hike/Hunt up in the White Clouds and there are no ATVs where I go either! I make a trip there and spend time every year and always look forward to it! But I have a lot of places I love to ride too!

Further evidence included a video allegedly filmed by Hudson which showed several dead elk, a crippled elk calf still alive and audio comments about the legality of poaching and the heinous nature of killing the elk by poaching.
http://www.huntandlodge.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=002371

Some people need more educating then others. This is a good example of making it illegal didn't work, and standard educational attempts didn't work. Some people are going to do it anyways.
* No ATV's were used in the commission of the above mentioned crime.
** Following the true SI (per BUZZ, EG, IT) thought process we must all now support a ban on all SUV's and semi-auto rifles.

LMAO (@BUZZ, EG & IT)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back