Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ATV CLOSURE - ABUSE OF POWER

Ten Bears

By Bill Sutton

There are four small mountain towns located in the southwestern Colorado, all linked by mining and stage routes now used and enjoyed by a variety of off-road vehicles. These towns are Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, and Lake City. The names of some of the linking routes are legendary due to their difficulty and scenery. Names like Cork Screw, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Engineer Pass, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Hurricane Pass, and Picayune Gulch have caused palpitations for years. They were always an adventure and always worth the effort. But not so much now.
Years of well-intentioned maintenance have reduced many of these roads to common dirt roads. They, thanks to overzealous maintenance workers, have lost the character which once made them so desirable. BLM, in conjunction with the San Juan County maintenance crews have pretty much eliminated the need for a "real" 4-wheel drive unit to motor over most routes. The road to Animas Forks from Silverton is now a highway, used regularly by vans and your Father's Oldsmobile.
Some of these routes, thanks to the Forest Service and Ouray County, have remained in the condition of their previous character. Some still require a "real" 4-wheel drive, but such SUVs as Navigators and Escalades, all with no low-range for difficult duty, are now becoming common. But there are other dangers in the air.
The town council of Lake City, now dominated by out-of-State property owners, have passed an ordinance to prohibit ATV use within the city limits. That ordinance has precluded a popular loop over Cinnamon Pass and Engineer Pass. Unfortunately that loop can no longer be enjoyed by ATVs, but the upgrading of the roads make it less desirable than in the past.
The County of San Juan (Silverton) passed an ordinance to close most of their County Roads to ATVs, at the request and influence of one environmentalist Commissioner. That action prompted much confrontation and anger. As a result, that Commissioner has been removed and replaced by one more reasonable, and all roads, save one, have been opened to ATVs. It was a tough and unnecessary fight.
As a result of communications between the now-removed San Juan Commissioner and a San Miguel (Telluride) Commissioner prompted that San Miguel Commissioner to erect signs closing Black Bear, Imogene, and Ophir Passes to ATVs and other vehicles classified as OHV. Two of the three passes have been the most preferred routes of all types of motorized users for decades, but now they have been segregated to be available only to some vehicles while prejudiced against others. This action was, apparently, done without the approval of the other two Commissioners, and without any input. It smacks of blatant abuse of power.
The Forest Service contends that the San Miguel County has no authority to close these roads, and the Forest Service retains jurisdiction on them, and prefers they be left open. But no action has been taken.
Abuse of power is fairly common knowledge. There are numerous stories about Judges making decisions leaning more to making a law than to follow the Constitution. There are stories about politicians adding self-serving riders to reasonable legislation, usually without any notification.
Past President Bill Clinton can be viewed as a perfect example of abuse of power. Under the influence (and financial support) of radical environmentalists, Clinton crammed a slew of Executive Orders down our throats at the end of his term. He created huge National Monuments (Grand Staircase) and closed millions of roaded public land (Roadless Area Bill).
The problem is that it is difficult if not impossible to reverse abuse of authority. The Grand Staircase National Monument is still a National Monument and most OHV use has been eliminated. The Roadless Area Bill is under study, and ruled as being "unconstitutional" by one Judge. But so far the current administration has not taken action. The Forest Service is too "proud" to apologize for their mistake, and we are still locked out.
The same abuse of power is evident in the San Miguel County, and is evident all over the country. Closures are now being made by panicked environmentalists in power. The influence once enjoyed by the Sierra Club, Earth First, and others has dwindled, but the agenda to close everything to human use is not dead. The Wildlands Project is still alive and threatening to kick us all in the teeth.
We, the local ATV riders are fighting the San Miguel Commissioner decision, but realize that we will lose something. The abuse of power is seemingly omnipotent. The abusers are vindicated and will abuse again and again. Clinton is still on the horizon, as is Hillary.
Where are those in power who will reverse the stupidity? I don't know. Do you?
http://www.atvillustrated.com/editorials/abuse_of_power.html

Keep um comming folks...

Damn, I might have to drive over Ophir pass to see if this is for real. :confused:

'Course, I will have to wait a while for the snow to melt.
footinmouth.gif

Abuse of power: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Look no one will ever accuse me of being a Greeny but listen you guys need to wise up. You are hurting your own cause with rhetoric like this. There is and continues to be a terrible problem with ATV's on public lands. They have destroyed a lot of prime real estate. I can take you to places in the Missouri Breaks that used to good to great hunting and camping which are now destroyed to the horde of ATV's. It is not just a few outlaw riders either. I have witnessed "hunting" parties on 5 to 6 4 wheelers run all over the country. I don't know why it is so hard for all to understand that there are simply to many abuses of these machines and regulations is required.
I am all for individual rights but it also has to be coupled with individual responsibility. I can't believe that anyone would advocate riding, unchecked, across public lands.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nemont

[ 04-21-2004, 15:25: Message edited by: Nemont ]

NEMONT, who is advocating "unchecked riding" across public lands?

The only people I have heard mention a need for "unrestricted access to ride on public lands" around here is yourself (recently), IT, EG, and BUZZ (didn't FCB broach the topic too?). All the "admitted" riders have agreed that there is a level of regulation required, and a need for more enforcement of existing laws and regulations.

At the Owyhee Initiative public meeting last nite many people commented on the destruction being done by ATVs and everyone was agreeing with them----ranchers and all. I doubt anyone other than the ATV groups likes seeing what ATVs are doing to our public lands. I'm assuming they don't object because they've NEVER introduced any legislation to curb the abuse. All they do is talk about educating riders. Well, it ain't working. If it were possible to educate and reform all dangerous and destructive car drivers we wouldn't need traffic laws either.

IT, your so far out of the loop. Where have you been with the parks ad recreation push for new regulation and laws in the state? Need some cheese to go with your whine?

I was glad to read this article! I hope ATVs get tighter and tighter rrestrictions

ATVs are the nemesis of good quality hunting.

On a related note, I went to a local western Montana ranch to go hiking 2 weekends ago and the owner informed me that he was no longer giving anyone permission to hike on his land. He was so pissed about ATVs mudbogging on his place and leaving gates open that he was giving a blanket “no access” decision so that he didn’t have to bother explaining why he was giving some people permission and not others.

ATVs suck.

Ten Beers
Isn't this a Hunting website? You treat it like it's ATVtalk.com with that story you've posted.Could have been an article out of Slobhunter Illustrated.

You guys crack me up. :D What that editorial says, when you get past the hype, is that RECREATIONAL ROADS that have been used for years by ORV's have been unilaterally closed by some do-gooder in T-ride. :rolleyes: When I say "recreational roads", I am saying that IMHO they serve no purpose but to entertain the tourists. The area up around Lake City is a whole bunch of high country dotted with ghost towns and the related historic mining cool stuff. It is a popular destination for the ATV crowd (which I'm not part of BTW, I'm just a contrarian). The worst damage report I can remember recently was some puke who decided to take his monster truck through some of the meadows. He ended up getting stuck, and they hung it in his arse. :cool:

The last time I was over any of the passes in question was about '89, and I took my 'ol truck. I'm sure its a zoo up there these days. Like I said, I might have to take a drive on over to check it out, but the snow won't be out of the passes until around June.

If the incident happened at all, I don't think this guy has a chance of making it stick. What's he gunna do, block the road at gunpoint? (remember - he's from T-ride :rolleyes: )

This would be much easier if you would just admit that ATV hunters are the lowest, most despicable form of life in the galaxy.

Originally posted by FAIRCHASEBEN:
Ten Beers
Isn't this a Hunting website? You treat it like it's ATVtalk.com with that story you've posted.Could have been an article out of Slobhunter Illustrated.
When you are talking about banning recreational vehicle use on public lands, you aren't just talking about hunting season. That's the wedge alot of you seem to be overlooking.

Ten,

Clinton crammed a slew of Executive Orders down our throats at the end of his term. He created huge National Monuments (Grand Staircase) and closed millions of roaded public land (Roadless Area Bill).
The problem is that it is difficult if not impossible to reverse abuse of authority. The Grand Staircase National Monument is still a National Monument and most OHV use has been eliminated. The Roadless Area Bill is under study, and ruled as being "unconstitutional" by one Judge. But so far the current administration has not taken action. The Forest Service is too "proud" to apologize for their mistake, and we are still locked out
Does that sound like a group of people who just want to go out and drive their ATV's along the FS roads? If that is the case their a millions of miles of trails and roads available to ride them on. I do not think it is too much to ask to stay on the trail. THE FACT IS NOT ENOUGH RIDERS DO. I don't own an ATV anymore because I don't want to teach my kids that it is okay to ride them where ever they want to.

Alright you don't advocate unlimited ATV access but you want them to be able to ride them on FS and BLM roads, again that would be fine but guess what; few people seem to be able to understand staying on the road. If all could or would stay on the trails then that would be fine.

Tell me how to stop ATV's from going off road. In just my county, Valley County Montana, the BLM has to administer 1,013,893 acres of land. Part of it is administered out of Malta, Montana in Phillips County (which has and additional 1,078,672 acres itself to administer) and Part of it is administered by the Miles City office (Which also administers 2,723,875 acres in 15 other counties) ***facts**** Click on me*** There simply are not enough resources to control ATV's.

Ten, I have tried to stay silent on the issue, I don't label you fat assed and I again support individual rights. The problem is that you refuse to admit there is a problem at all. Letting ATV's onto public land is fine but many the people who ride them believe it is more fun to rip around the hill sides. PLEASE, PLEASE go out and look at the country and what ATV's are doing to it. I am begging you to at least go look. I will send you pics of my once favorite hunting spot and the quality of game I used to be able to take there consistenly and what has happened to it now.

Nemont

Nemont, Trying to reason with Ten and all the others who are too lazy to get off their ATVs is hopeless. What it all boils down to is some people are just too lazy to walk, and nothing is going to change that. And they want to be able to tear all around just like they see the guys on the TV commercials doing! Why else do they need some expensive, high powered souped up ATV? Certainly not for riding on roads annd trails!

Ten Beers posted:
Abuse of power is fairly common knowledge. There are numerous stories about Judges making decisions leaning more to making a law than to follow the Constitution. There are stories about politicians adding self-serving riders to reasonable legislation, usually without any notification.
Past President Bill Clinton can be viewed as a perfect example of abuse of power. Under the influence (and financial support) of radical environmentalists, Clinton crammed a slew of Executive Orders down our throats at the end of his term. He created huge National Monuments (Grand Staircase) and closed millions of roaded public land (Roadless Area Bill).
How did Clinton create a Roadless Area Bill? Was it a Bill (passed thru Congress) or was it an Executive Order???? I wonder how many times the Author of Ten's piece from Slobhunter.com has forgotten to wear his helmet??? :rolleyes:

I wonder why the local county commissoner in Colorado decided to "Abuse his Power"? Couldn't have been because he got fed up with the Fat--Assed ATV Riders and their law breaking or damage they cause???
shhh.gif

It is funny how the B]Fat--Assed ATV Riders[/B] assume the problem is people trying to "abuse power", instead of admidting the problem is looking at them in their mirror every morning.

Back