Attention: it’s time sportsmen and women listen!

I don't think this is the reception that the OP was expecting.

The signs are from UPOM, the same group that's tried to get test & slaughter of elk in the Paradise valley and the same group that's tried to kill MT's stream access law & Habitat Montana.

UPOM is a dark money organization headed up by GOP lobbyists in Helena. I think I'll pass on their propaganda.

Good thing I didn't burn my Mystery Ranch pack.

ElkNuut, I have visited APR, camped at their Buffalo Camp campground (with camper surrounded by bison), checked out the educational / work center facility, hiked on the APR, researched the APR mission and operations, and as a result my wife and I support the APR. Also having heard some talk radio discussions among the opponents of APR who live in NE Montana, my opinion of their rationale is similar to my opinion of UPOM (United Property Owners of Montana) in that it seems to me the "property rights" of which they speak are a skewed ideology based on self interests and a misinformed understanding, not the US or the Montana Constitution. The paranoia regarding the "conspiracy" to drive ranching off the landscape is similarly baseless and, in my opinion, reflects a unhealthy attitude which ultimately actually harms the agriculture industry. 'Just my thoughts on APR and the opposition to APR.

Dude tossing his MR pack...same guy that blew up his Yeti cooler? How is destroying your personal property hurting the company you are protesting against?

I’m surprised you are so against private property rights. Also surprised that you’re strong enough to throw that heavy MR in the dumpster.

I’ve hunted on APR property. Walked through it to public ground, watched a buddy kill his first bull, packed it out on our backs and ran into APR employees on the way out that were very happy for us.

Have you had any luck getting access from any other area ranches?

The only logical argument I’ve heard against the APR is the loss of tax revenue for the state/county. Other than that it just sounds like a lot of complaining to me....

The only logical argument I’ve heard against the APR is the loss of tax revenue for the state/county. Other than that it just sounds like a lot of complaining to me....

Nonprofits pay property taxes. They also pay per capita taxes on their livestock.

Interesting. They actually have audited financial statements on their website for anyone who wants to look at them. They have copies of their 990 tax returns on there as well so you don't have to run over to guidestar to look at them.

Would be a great model for some folks like UPOM and SFW to follow. I'm not holding my breath though.

I was actually pretty surprised to see how much debt they are carrying though. It isn't quite as cash flush as most people are making it out to be. I guess most ranchers would be happy with less than a 50% debt load as well though.

So what is the crux of the local ranchers NOT liking APR? I've never sat down w/ anyone to discuss the matter.

Wouldn't it be a good thing if another rancher sold out and got out of ranching? Less competition for the cows you're raising at market should bring your price up.

I'd love it if someone around me was converting a bunch of the dirt farms into native prairie. It would be neat to have game birds again.

So what is the crux of the local ranchers NOT liking APR? I've never sat down w/ anyone to discuss the matter.

You'd probably hear a dozen different things if you went and talked to the locals, but the crux of it probably comes down to the same reason family ranchers/farmers don't like Hutterite colonies. They have buying power that most family ranches don't have, so when the neighbor's land comes up for sale they get out-bid time and time again.

Things seem good at this time with the APR and hunting, although I did ask about a newly acquired property and was told I could not hunt it. The gentleman I talked to said that the property in question hadn't been evaluated as to a management plan. Seemed odd as it is surrounded by public already hunted. I suppose time will tell if the current conditions stay the same. mtmuley

I have to wonder if their current policies on hunting will stand in the future. I was denied permission to elk hunt on a property completely surrounded by public. I hope they continue to work with hunters. mtmuley

I have to wonder if their current policies on hunting will stand in the future. I was denied permission to elk hunt on a property completely surrounded by public. I hope they continue to work with hunters. mtmuley

I think a lot of hunters share the same trepidations. Yes, they allow hunting - for now.

But hey, they are better than the Wilkes bros, no?

Back