PEAX Equipment

Arizona Quail

Devil Diver Down

Got out yesterday morning for a quick hunt in the desert. Some quail have been visiting my yard in the off-season and my GSP is in rough shape--wants to break point and chase--he caught one in the late spring and thinks he's better off doing it himself rather than waiting on me to nail one with the gun.

It was too warm to hunt more than a few hours and the dog was busting coveys out of range. He looked like a white and liver colored antelope running back and forth, jumping over bushes and cactus--no discipline at all. And no quit in him either. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

After my buddy & I had bagged a few I almost stepped on a rattler on a rocky hillside. Five feet away from me and ten from the dog so I had to hammer him. Three minutes later we hear rattling again. This one was close enough that I could have poked him with my 16 gauge. Coiled and giving me the business. :eek:

Two snakes down and off the hillsides for us. I've never been afraid of snakes and think they're pretty cool but two close calls in that short time span gave me a scorching case of the weenies. Didn't even take the time to get the meat or pull the rattles off, which bummed out my kids when I got home. Forgot my camera too. Guess I'll wait until it cools down a little more before I head back into them thar hills.

I cant wait to get over to AZ in Dec. for quail hunting, I hunt the ag lands one hour out of Phoenix, theres also some huge archery mullies to be had there.
I killed a couple of rattlers here also latley.
I'm headed to NV for some chucker action next weekend.

Back