Arizona Coues Deer

mattobertin

Well I finally closed the deal on a coues WT! I was only able to spend 4 1/2 days hunting and only one day scouting on this hunt so when Saturday morning rolled around and I just kinda guessed a spot blindly, I was very surprised to see deer the first ten minutes into my hunt! I just found the most promising hill and set up the old 10x50 Swarovski's on the tripod and turned into a deer glassing fool! I am not good at judging scores on these little deer but from comparison I would say the two biggest bucks that I saw were at least 100 inches or better.:eek: they were running with a single doe and fed on the same oak covered hillside every morning. That Sunday I found them again feeding and moved in to about 200 yards to where they were and put my gun up and found the smaller of the two bucks in the scope. At this point I was pretty pumped and noticed that I was shooting through way too much brush so I moved up to an oak tree and steadied my gun and found that the deer had already started moving over the ridge.:BLEEP: Needles to say when I moved over the next ridge the bucks were nowhere to be found... So nothing for me opening weekend. Went back out the next and last weekend and found the same two big bucks in the same spot feeding at around ten a.m. they slipped into a thick pocket to bed down so I moved to the next ridge to get a better view and glassed for about two hours without seeing them when all of the sudden my hunting buddy tells me he has glassed up a doe! He tries to explain to me where he sees her and while trying to find her I spot a pretty good buck. So we devised our plan of attack and moved out to stalk this deer. About an hour later I was looking down on top of the buck from about 400 yards set up my shooting sticks and the rest is history.........hump
36bwhitetail012.jpg

I've never hunted them, but have read a lot about how tough to find they are supposed to be. Congratulations on a "well done" hunt.

I've never hunted them, but have read a lot about how tough to find they are supposed to be. Congratulations on a "well done" hunt.

They are very tough to hunt. It is almost like they have a sixth sense or something. I learned alot about them on this hunt and I think in the future that will help me out. Next year if I get drawn hopefully I can get on those bigger bucks they ought to be REALLY nice next year!

NICE! That's a good looking buck. Those are definitely on my short list of critters to chase.

Congrats on the buck. I'm going to give that a try in the next couple of years, even if I have to go to Mexico.

Congrats on the buck. I'm going to give that a try in the next couple of years, even if I have to go to Mexico.

It is'nt too hard to get drawn for some of the southern units in arizona. Little bit less money and drive time than old mexico. If you don't want to use a guide I would suggest a lot of scouting or you would just be shooting in the dark like me!;) You should definately give coues hunting a try whether it be in the US or mexico, it is a frickin blast!

Back