area 73 goat hunt

GKimPrice

we drew area 73 buck goat tags and I have no idea where to go - or where to plan to set up a camp either - it sounds like it is fairly dry in that unit this year

In advance, I say THANK YOU for any advice or info shared !

Don't know the area very well so I'm not too helpful. Give the biologists and game warden a call.

Get a gps landowner chip. You can camp on BLM land. You should not have too much difficulty finding antelope or public land to hunt them.

No need to apologize. Most of the locals call them goats. Its usually the non rezi's who insist on calling them antelope. Get yerself some BLM maps. Most of the north half of the area is public. I was out last week scouting for deer and some nice goats...

Last edited:
got a 76" er out of there last year,,,there is no shortage,just take your time looking them over,,,plenty on blm lands,,,100 or more a day will be easy to expect.

got a 76" er out of there last year,,,there is no shortage,just take your time looking them over,,,plenty on blm lands,,,100 or more a day will be easy to expect.

Hi Dan,

I read that you had some past success last year for antelope, in unit 73 WY. Me and a couple friends are heading out their Sept. 25-29 to hunt antelope also. I live in Minnesota and have never been to Wyoming, and have never hunted for antelope. Any advice on how to hunt them would be greatly appreciated, and what to expect for a good buck. Did any parts of the unit seem to have a better population?

Thanks Jay

study on judging horns,,,at long distance this is one of the hardest things to do,,,a good spotter or optics will really help.it was a very dry year last year so water was key.you will see plenty of 70"ers,,,dont shoot the first one you see,after you filter through several,youll be able to know when you see a exceptional one,good luck.mine had a ton of mass on the lower 8" of horn.

Aera 73 is one of the largest aeras for antelope , get ready for a lot of looking plenty in that aera good look, i go to wyoming every year

It's a big area all right I hunted it for years. The antelope should be all over, there are plenty of hills to drive on top of and glass. If your going up Bucknum Road (first public access road) about 16 miles out of casper. Look for low spots in the terrain, they like to lay in these during the day a couple of days after season opener. Most people just drive right by and never notice them. Also most people don't get out and walk. Just a 1/4 mile off it will get you in them.
The road north of Arminto,Wy will eventually connect with the Bucknum road and is the far east boundry. Also there is a road that goes West directly opposite the Midwest/Edgerton turn off on I-25 goes past three large public Farm pond type places that will attract them for water. It goes west and hooks up with the north end of the Bucknum road. Hope it helps.

thank you for the posts ! been talking to the area biologist some - have not connected with the Warden as yet - leaving on Oct 14 so should be spotting/hunting by the 16th - I bought 2 doe tags for area 21 off the list, looks like just drive and spot there, huh ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back