Yeti GOBOX Collection

Archery--Using Binoculars in the Field

Shoos

I've had some discussion with friends who archery hunt and they don't seem satisfied with carrying binos on a neck strap or harness due to possible interference when drawing the string. One shop owner who hunts said that he carries his binos on his hip and places a range finder around his neck, as he is doing more ranging when game is in close quarters and he is ready to draw.

I am preparing to enter the world of archery hunting and want to know how you prefer to carry optics in the field, and if you carry binos at the hip, do you find the OEM case to be sufficient, a hinderance, or adequate?

I hunt with Leica 10x25 binos. I carry them in an aftermarket pouch attached to the belt of my pack. I carry my range finder the same way on the other side of my pack. I don't know how well it would work with larger binos, but it works great with compacts. When I hunt I have nothing around my neck. Eliminates any chance of interference with my bow string, but mostly I don't like things hanging around my neck.

Last edited:
I've bow hunted for over 20 years and never had an issue with my Bino's on my neck and now in a harness...Things that make you go Hmmm!

I put my binos on the shoulder straps (i think often referred to as Bino Buddies) and I throw my range finder in my waist belt pocket or over one shoulder and let it rest under my arm pit to avoid clacking my range finder with my bino's. I've never had gear interfere with my string or anchor.

I thought having the binos on my harness would get in the way. Then I shot my bow with them on...no problem.

Never had an issue with binos and string interference. With a standard strap, I'd loop it across my chest over one shoulder .

Bino harnesses work well too.

If you hit a few 3d leagues you will find a setup that works for you you can use in the field. It is all personal preference.

If you are shooting a compound, with form anywhere near proper, bino's on a harness shouldn't be in the way.

Once you get comfortable practicing, start wearing your bino's while you shoot on the range. It's the only way to build confidence in your set up.

IF, for some reason the harness isn't an option, you can sling your bino's over one shoulder with the strap. Just like the old school PH's in Africa. When hunting with my recurve, this is how I wear my bino's. For some reason with the recurve, the bino's on a harness, just don't work for me.

Oh yeah, the range finder.

Learn to judge yardage without one. Shoot 3d's, shoot at the range between the standard yardage lines, shoot with your eyes closed. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Ranging an animal when you are on a stalk is the product of outdoor television, and just another movement to blow your stalk.

Range finders are great, I never leave home without one. That said, if I'm in true bow range(less than 40 yards) it's completely useless to me.

regular crooked horn outfitter bino system havnt had problems with bow shooting myself,,,s-4 makes a bino lock down setup that may be a bit more secure you may want to look into?

S-4/Sitka/Badlands bino harnesses will be very effective and you won't have any issues with a compound.

The only way I can think that your binos would get in the way is if you are shooting downward like out of a tree stand and your binos tend to hang out away from your chest they might get near your string???

My binoculars never get in the way on the cabelas harness I have. I keep it nice and tight against my chest though so it doesn't hang down when bending over.

I think people are analyzing things too much. Wear binos on a harness because it's the best spot. I would never even think about my bow hitting them. My binos are essential when I hunt so it's just the most convienent spot.

I use the bino harness from badlands and really like it. I have them on when practicing as well as in the field so I am very used to it and they have never came in contact with the string.

Not an issue at all. I also carry my rangefinder strapped to the right shoulder strap of my harness. Quick and easy access without excess movement and keeps it out of the way.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back