Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Archery Practice

maxx

I always pull out my bow around the beginning of July to start to shoot again. I have a 5 pin Spott Hogg site. It was set starting at 10 to 50 in 10 yard increments. I am planning on going out to NE to pronghorn hunt so I wanted to extend it out to 70. My pins are now start at 30 and go to 70 in 10 yard increments. I am not sure if I will ever get comfortable shooting at 70 enough to shoot at an animal but it is fun practicing out that far.

First group at 70 yards for the night, 2nd time shooting at 70. 5 arrows one I pulled and missed the target.

Second Group at 70. My goofball son wanted to be in the picture.

Moved into 60 yards next.

60 from my knees. I don't ever practice on my knees because I am a lazy tree stand hunter from the Midwest!

I can pull mine out a week before season and be proficient out to 40 or so, but it takes me several months to get out to 60 or 70. I always intend to keep shooting after season and go year-round, but it never actually happens.

Suggestion on the number of pins. It's been my experience you can set pins at say 30, 50 and 70 so you only have 3 pins to worry about and if the animal is at 40, you just put the animals vitals in the gap between the 30 and 50 pins for a 40 yard shot. I only mention this if you don't want so many pins. :)

Suggestion on the number of pins. It's been my experience you can set pins at say 30, 50 and 70 so you only have 3 pins to worry about and if the animal is at 40, you just put the animals vitals in the gap between the 30 and 50 pins for a 40 yard shot. I only mention this if you don't want so many pins. :)

My site already has that many pins and I don't feel like jacking with it. I have thought about getting one of the sites that has a few fixed pins along with a slider. I think a 20, 30 and a slider would be a great set up. You could have it fixed at 40 then anything over that you are going to have to range so you should have some time. I think once you get over 40 knowing the range is as important as anything.

Wind kills long range shooting with bows! The thing I noticed and my boys kept commenting on is the arc of the arrow and the length of time it is in the air to shoot 70.

I am surprised at how fast I have progressed. I think this is my 2nd time shooting that far after getting dialed in. At first I struggle to keep the arrows on the target at that range. Now I am dialing in fast.

It sure is fun shooting that far! I just got a completely new set up and wen t with the HHA king pin which is an adjustable pin sight. Once I have it dialed in I should be able to shoot out to 100 yds!

Wind kills long range shooting with bows! The thing I noticed and my boys kept commenting on is the arc of the arrow and the length of time it is in the air to shoot 70.

To each his own, but for most people, in most situation, with decent bow skills, 70 yards obviously ins't a preferred shot. I won't come right out and say it isn't ethical, but like you said, that arrow is in flight for quite some time. At that distance, your game, can hear your bow before the arrow reaches it's destination. This would allow for "jumping the string", running, stepping, or any number of variables that could cause a wounding hit. This doesn't even take into consideration the effect of wind on your arrows path.

Not judging or criticizing, as I am a bow-hunter and I have taken shots that I am sure would be frowned upon....just my 0.02

I sincerely hope you bag a monster Pronghorn, and we all get to see picts!!

Best of luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PotomacRiver
Back