MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Archery Hunting Heavily Pressured Elk

CGalley8

Hi in Wyoming where I hunt it is hard to find a spot that doesn't get much hunting pressure. My dad and I can seem to get close enough to get the bulls really fired up, but can never get them in bow range. Does anyone have any ideas that might pull those more mature bulls in closer?

Have you tried a cow elk decoy? I would say get in close and sound like a youg bull and get him mad, but if they have been pressured then they could run to the next county.

We do that a lot when we call and the bull usually hangs up about 80 yards where he can see the decoy and just screams his head off. We have tried the sounding like a young bull and getting him mad and it works really well a lot of the times, but now that we started filming it makes it a little harder because someone cant stay back and kind of distract him.

It's about using the terrain to your advantage - You need to set up so he cannot see where you are calling from, or see the decoy, until he is in range. If you call - he knows exactly where you are, and if he moves in at all, it will only be to a point where he would expect to be able to see the elk you are imitating.

Chris Roe's Elk Module (roehuntingresources.com) does a great job covering this in his "See you First" and "The Doorway" pieces if you feel like subscribing there.

Also - depending on the type of calling and the mood of the Elk that you're calling to - if you're calling outside of 100-150 yards, he might hear you, round up his cows, and head off to avoid a confrontation. Depends on the situation.

Keep the conversation going. Assuming most folks hunt pressured elk on most years....except when they get that great tag every now and then.

CGalley8 . . . . When you say, "close enough to get the bulls fired up", approximately how close is "close"? I have been watching a lot of Youtube lately on the subject of archery elk hunting and I would recommend you search "Elk101" or go to www.elk101.com. Corey has some great seminars and videos where he gives his advice. He appears to do just fine in landing some big bulls.

A couple of things he states in those videos is he uses primarily three calls. One is just a basic cow and/or calf elk meow, the second is a "locator" bugle, and the last is the a "aggressive" (not sure the exact name) bugle. The "locator" bugle is just that .... to locate. The "aggressive" bugle is to challenge the bull .... after you get "close" (close to Corey is about 80 to 150 yards). Once he gets "close" he cow calls. He tries to get the bull to come to him or bugle back. He doesn't use the "aggressive" bugle until the bull bugles and then cuts him off. His opinion is that it pretty much pisses the other bull off and a lot of the time they come in. The set-up (by two hunters) is also important. He explains the techniques that work for him. Again .... watch the youtube videos (elk101).

I, primarily, hunt the Missouri River Breaks during archery and IMO, I pretty much don't call at all (cow or bugle). Those elk are educated and if they can't see another bull .... they pretty much are not going to come in to a call.

Forgot to add that Corey will rake a tree with a branch and in some cases uses a decoy. He doesn't use the decoy exclusively, just to aid in luring the bull towards the shooter.

Challenge bugle.

I've found on a few occasions that animals that have really been hammered either move along to that nice section of private land or change their habits a bit. Sometimes no matter what you do they just wont be receptive. Other times I've questioned if theyre still there altogether because its like they went silent. If you know the animals are there and just cant close, I would really try that challenge bugle if he's really hung up. He's screamin his head off at the decoy because he wants that decoy to fall in line and come with him. Get in between bull and decoy and try throwing your calls towards the decoy. If you have the wind don't wait for him to come to you.

Or since you have 2 people already the filmer really should be the caller closes your 80 yard gap up. I'm tempted to rig up a go pro to the side of my head. Those bow mounted cameras really suck when it comes time to flinging an arrow. Looks like fuzz during arrow flight.

Thank you all I can garentee all of these will be tried this upcoming fall they all sound like great ideas. Thank you guys very much!

It sounds like you may need a better setup? You're getting bulls to respond just fine & having them come your way regardless of the hunting pressure. If you can see out to 80 yards+ as in your description then you are asking for a hang-up. It is common for elk to come to the source of the calling & stop where they know they should see an elk. When they do not see them they now will ask you to show yourself from the hang-up spot, of course you cannot so they get nervous & move off.

If you will choose a setup spot with good cover & good wind where elk are forced into 'search mode' to get into both bow & camera range you now will find that these elk will in most cases keep coming until they get to the point they feel they can now see the source, that's your shot opportunity.

If you do not have the proper setup you can throw any sound sequence you'd like at them & in nearly every case they will hang-up right where they know they should see elk! Remove that from the equation & good things will happen.

If many of your encounters are in open sagebrush country don't try to call those elk & alert them while in the open, they can simply look your way & know something isn't right. Wait for these elk to get into the timber, if an ambush is doable with no calling, do it! Only call to these elk when it's the only chance you have to get them to come your way. Again, setup, setup, setup is crucial here! Decoys can have their place but rarely needed. My son & I have brought in over 1000 bulls to bowrange over the years on OTC DIY public land hunts & not once have we used a decoy!

Choosing when to be aggressive with these bulls is very important as well, reserve aggressive action for bulls that have hot cows & play the curiosity card on the bulls that show no signs of having a hot cow, that method also applies to satellites.

ElkNut1

I tend to be more aggressive and take chances when they wont come running in like elk that aren't pressured as much and call a bit less until I am right in their bread basket. I've blown a few stalks but also have shot three bulls in three years being more aggressive. plus its exhilarating to really be "running" after them lol

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back