Caribou Gear

Archery advise

mixedbag

Should draw my region D tag in Wyoming for muleys.Be my first time hunting mule deer.First with my bow and probably stick around for a couple days of gun.Where would I find muleys in late Sept. along the Sierra Madres?What type of cover/food should I be looking for?I heard they don't like all the racket the elk make that time of year; is that true?Or will they be in the same general areas as the elk?
I'll be targeting elk mainly on the trip, but will definitely be putting some time in on the muleys too.What would be considered a decent buck for region D?Any advise on hunting them would be appreciated

Jeez, this really is OYOA.Nobody has any archery advise for muleys.I'm not asking for a spot, just what and where to look for them
Thanks

I can't say as to how to find them in WY, but out here in Eastern MT you need to look for the coulees (draws) and then hunt the ones perpendicular to the wind. Also coulees with large concerntrations of Juniper seem to hold more deer as well. As for food if you have a lot of $$$ and can afford to hunt alfalfa fields they do like it, lol. I've never hunted them in the mountains so I can't help you there sorry.

Muley help

This is a very tough place to hunt muleys with a bow. The reason for this is that in Sept. and even early Oct. The deer are very scattered. They are next to impossible to pattern and even harder to get onto a big buck once you have found him. A good friend of mine got pictures in July of last year of a buck that would go in the high 240's and spent the next two month almost everyday looking for him. He never so much as got a glimpse of him. There are a lot of roads so that may help you or hurt you. If you have anymore questions drop me a pm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back