MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Approach to Google Earth scouting

PFUNK

This topic may have been discussed before, but I am hoping to hear how everyone approaches google earth when scouting for an elk hunt. I convinced my dad to put in for a nonresident elk license this year and if he draws the permit he will be coming out to join myself and some friends for an elk hunt. We will be hunting the area we hunted for a couple weeks last year. We were able to get into elk consistently, but I want to have a backup plan if this area is not producing like it did last year. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get there to scout this summer and want to utilize google earth and other maps to identify areas that we could relocate to if necessary. Ideally, we would like to set up a base camp along a road accessible to 4wd vehicles but will also have gear to spike out for a couple nights if we feel it is needed to help our chances. My biggest question is how you use google earth to identify areas that would be expected to hold elk?

What things are you specifically looking for as terrain goes? At this point, I have been looking at areas where we found elk, and then trying to locate those some features in other areas.

Are there certain water sources that you can count on to still be producing water at the end of a dry summer? I ask this because I have seen springs marked on old USGS maps that aren't there when you get there. Can you identify with google earth which drainages are likely to be dry and which should still hold water?

Do you prefer to look at areas with very little access via roads or trails? I tend to gravitate towards isolated areas, but then wonder how easy it will be to blaze a trail to an area we would intend to hunt. How far away do you like to get from trails and roads?

Are vast expanses of heavy timber favorable habitat for elk? Are there subtle differences in this type of terrain that may be a better place to start?

Those are a few, more specific questions that came to mind, but any advice you may have is appreciated. I want to make sure I make this as memorable of an experience as I can for him, because I don't know how many times we will have this kind of opportunity. Even if we don't harvest a bull, I want him to see the side of elk hunting that I became addicted to, not the countless days I have had where I don't see a single elk (though this is still enjoyable, is part of the game, and you are still learning where NOT to be). Getting into some bugling bulls and some close encounters would make the trip a success to him, that I know.

I remember seeing a thread not to long ago about someone putting together a resource for beginners planning an elk hunt that included google earth scouting but I can't seem to find that. If anyone remembers the name or has a link, I would like to look at that too, We will probably have 7-10 days to dedicate to this, and if we do have 10 days I plan to use the first 2 to scout prior to opening day. Planning on starting on the opener because we were into bulls every day for the first week. It was some of the most exhilarating, enjoyable hunting I have ever had and want him to enjoy something like that. I know there are a lot of experienced, dedicated elk hunters here so I figured this was a great resource to start with. I'll also be contacting the area biologist and will be trying to find some books that may help answer these same questions. I read Cameron Haynes Backcountry Bowhunting last year and may have to get my hands on that again for a refresher. Thanks a lot for any input!

Good question, I use GE to look at areas I'd be willing to check out although I dont know exactly what to look for. Great post.

I will admit I'm addicted to google maps. Get the chrome edition. Not for sure where you will be hunting but in my neck of the woods (NV) you can find some really good spots for deer and elk. For deer it's all about the springs and rocks. For elk its springs. You can actually see the trails coming to and from the springs. Don't put to much trust into the distance on the trails that you make thou. I found that out the hard way last year. Good luck

I will admit I'm addicted to google maps. Get the chrome edition. Not for sure where you will be hunting but in my neck of the woods (NV) you can find some really good spots for deer and elk. For deer it's all about the springs and rocks. For elk its springs. You can actually see the trails coming to and from the springs. Don't put to much trust into the distance on the trails that you make thou. I found that out the hard way last year. Good luck

Google maps is basically the same as google earth isn't it? Except with google earth you get the 3d view? As far as plotting trails, I have used google earth for that but a buddy of mine has the national geographic program that is a little more useful for making trails and looking at the elevation profiles of those trails.

Mostly what I am looking to figure out is what type of terrain features are guys looking at when they are identifying areas to elk hunt. This type of info is probably found in many elk hunting books, so if it is easier to recommend a good book, I'd be happy to hear that too. I've read a few, but haven't really felt any were too specific and just briefly touched upon it. I have read about guys on this forum using GE and wanted to hear how they approach it so I have a little better idea of what things I should be looking for.

Look for the needs of elk. Food, shelter (bedding areas), water and how they connect. Look for bottlenecks and transition points (from one area to another). Look for canyons with steep contour lines that make you say to yourself "I'd hate to bag a bull at the bottom of that canyon". Keep an eye out for roads and other access points too and try and keep your distance from them

Just one quick thought - if you mark places in Google Earth, be sure to export a backup copy of your My Places file after each session of creating new records. I had hundreds of points logged in mine when Google Earth corrupted and destroyed everything. I was able to get most of them back from a backup file.

I look for:

Basins with water
Ridgeline meadows
Pocket meadows in the timber
North facing timber
Benches 2/3 of the way up the mountain
Lack of roads
Lack of trails
Steep inclines either directly above or below access roads
Areas where finger ridges come together

Of course, this all goes out the window if you don't find elk there. Then, you go find where they really are. Last time I hunted MT I hunted way the heck and gone up the mountain, found very few elk. We found the most elk sign at the very edge of the foothills where it was mostly sagebrush intermixed with small pockets of douglas fir and aspen.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back