MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anything you don't like?

ChrisC

I have been going back and forth on posting this or not because of the obvious turn this can take. I'm wagering we can keep it nice and civil.

I was reading a thread today about the hushin NZ hunt and mentioned the bar being set by Rinella, Randy, and Remi, along with a few others. They are frequently cited for doing the right thing, etc. They get praised alot, and it is deserved, but I was wondering if there was anything specifically you have found that you may disagree with or not like about their stances, tv shows, etc. Nothing personal, just the way conduct their business.

For me, I am always looking for more content on YouTube and find that Rinella doesn't put much out there. Randy pumps out quality videos constantly and we might get one a month from Rinella. Too busy with those weekly podcasts now (no complaints about that)?

I think the MeatEater program is one of the best shows on outdoor TV! Rinella is a quiet, reflective and respectful host, video and production quality is always high. And the fact that he shows preparation and consumption of the animal is great. I really think he is an OUTSTANDING ambassador for our sport. Certainly does not leave much to complain about :)

Hmm... Well Rinella wears First Lite gear and that sure looked like the same stuff in a bunch of those New Zealand pictures!

As much as First Lite preaches about public land and conservation issues I'm curious to see if they do anything about their current sponsorship agreement that they have with Hushin.

Big Fin wears Sitka, and they donated some gear to the Big Game Forever banquet in Livingston earlier this year so that's not good. I wonder if these guys are going to have to go naked or start having to buy their own clothes. I think that would be even worse (at least the going naked part). ;)

As a society we have really started to go out of our way to look for something to be offended by. I'm not condoning the Hushin NZ hunt at all (the video was pulled before I ever watched it), I just think we tend to be looking out for peoples flaws and faults and not looking at the good that they might be doing. Someone could be a terrific example of conservation for years and make one mistake and be crucified for it. Again, I've only watched a few Hushin videos and never was especially impressed with them so I'm not saying I'm sticking up for them.

I would hope that Sitka regrets donating to BGF banquet but I don't know. Do they need to post a statement about it somewhere apologizing? Should Hushin post a statement on their NZ hunt? To be honest I think for most it would be a business decision. Did Sitka lose any sales over their donation to BGF? Did they gain any sales from it? I would bet it was pretty close to a wash. Did Hushin lose any subscribers and resulting revenue stream from their NZ hunt? Sounds like it.

I'm just not into the boycotting companies and people over every little thing they do.

I am not perfect by any means and I don't expect a TV host to be either.

I try look at the overall picture (or person) and not let a little thing here or there bother me one way or the other.

My 2 cents. Nathan

Last edited:
Just adding to my post without going back an editing the whole thing.

A good example of this might be Chris Denham. Guy seems to be a great public land advocate. Western Hunter is one of 3 outdoor shows that I actually DVR and watch (you already listed the only other 2).

But he made a mistake and supported the AZ tag grab. There are still a lot of folks that wouldn't be caught dead watching that show or reading that magazine because of that.

If you watch the show I would think they spend more time and effort pushing public land hunting than any of them. Maybe not as much as Randy, but I would say more TV time to public land advocacy than Meat Eater.

Do I think the AZ tag grab was a good idea? Not at all. Do I think that Chris Denham has done more to promote public land hunting than I could ever accomplish in my lifetime? Almost certainly.

Heck when the whole AZ tag grab was going on there were folks that were going to boycott anything the Outdoorsmans company had anything to do with because one of their owners either said they supported it or somehow was involved in it. It seems like people still like and use their tripods now though. (very fuzzy here, don't take my word for this).

a few for me-
Long range hunting shows. I like long range shooting key word "range". Every one has their own thoughts on what an ethical shot is to them. For me 400 yards is my max, but prefer 300 or under. My issue is two fold. First, where is the sporting what you have no stalk at all and can shoot from a 1000 yrds or more away. Second, TV makes it look so easy and they never miss. How many animals do think end up getting wounded in the process.
- fake fake TV shows. There is hunting show which shall stay nameless, who shows a guide all over North America in all kinds of terrain and weather. I know for a fact the person could not physically make it an a 10th of these hunts. What the camera doesn't show is the rides in a quad, truck and SxS to get to the location, Then what looks like the grueling stalk, is really not.
- A good show I like besides Randy's is Beyond the Hunt. I met Rick, he is a very humble guy and its genuine when you see them hunt.

I enjoy all of those shows. Constant product placement gets old, but I guess that's how the bills get paid.

Remy was on a show that did the helicopter drop in deal. I'm not sure if he was featured in that segment so I will give the benefit of the doubt. I agree with others that I really hate the long range craze. I know it takes skill, but its just not my cup of tea but I don't really have a moral issue with it. Just personal preference. Another pet peave is sponsorship by companies. However I know that without them I wouldn't have the shows I like or even this forum, so I just ignore it like I think most people should do with their issues they have with legal hunting shows using legal hunting methods.

I think you're fishing for dirt in the wrong place

That's the type of reply that turns threads bad. Don't make the assumption that looking for something someone doesn't like in a particular person's platform as a means to dig up dirt. I'm not looking to get personal about any of the three people I listed. Maybe people dont like the self-filming Remi does, or the lack of eastern hunting Randy does. That is hardly fishing for dirt. Just trying to hear other's views.

That's the type of reply that turns threads bad. Don't make the assumption that looking for something someone doesn't like in a particular person's platform as a means to dig up dirt. I'm not looking to get personal about any of the three people I listed. Maybe people dont like the self-filming Remi does, or the lack of eastern hunting Randy does. That is hardly fishing for dirt. Just trying to hear other's views.

I think Randy's shows are the only ones I have seen where he fails to bag an animal
despite much time and sweat...moose in Alaska, a Nevada hunt, etc.
very realistic, compared to shows that always bag an animal with a long distance rifle shot.

I don't care about the end product (bagging a trophy with a long distance shot) in these shows,
I am more interested in the process (hunting hard) and mistakes or tips I can use in my own hunts.
Randy's shows are spot on from this perspective.

You kind of went the other way on that old thing about, "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut". I struggle to understand what you hope to achieve here, other than sit around and complain?

I think in the end it all boils down to each of us trying to assimilate with (think tribes) those that we feel like we align with. The big names mentioned above get a lot of praise in this crowd because in general everyone here is like minded.

From what I read, I think the hush crew lost a lot of followers over the NZ hunt but to be honest, for everyone who left them there is a new face ready to jump on the hush crowd. I don't think it will hurt them overall.

I like Randy and Steve because they are honest. They show things like flat tires, and rough days. They stand by their charachter and instead of saying how we should all behave, they show us.

You kind of went the other way on that old thing about, "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut". I struggle to understand what you hope to achieve here, other than sit around and complain?

I was worried about starting this thread and people bashing TV personalities...little did I know it was going to turn into me looking for dirt and such. Aren't forums here to discuss the good and the bad? If you are buying a piece of equipment, don't you want to hear the good reviews and the bad reviews? If you are a host of a TV show, dont you want to hear the praises and constructive criticisms?

I'm a fan of all three of these folks and am in no way trying to create a complaint thread. I just wanted to know if someone didn't watch any of them or follow them, and if so, why? Are there anyone out there who don't see them in the same light almost everyone I've come across does.

I understand there are a lot of internet trolls out there, but try to give some people a chance before you just assume that they are looking to start some negativity.

I was worried about starting this thread and people bashing TV personalities...little did I know it was going to turn into me looking for dirt and such. Aren't forums here to discuss the good and the bad? If you are buying a piece of equipment, don't you want to hear the good reviews and the bad reviews? If you are a host of a TV show, dont you want to hear the praises and constructive criticisms?

I'm a fan of all three of these folks and am in no way trying to create a complaint thread. I just wanted to know if someone didn't watch any of them or follow them, and if so, why? Are there anyone out there who don't see them in the same light almost everyone I've come across does.

I understand there are a lot of internet trolls out there, but try to give some people a chance before you just assume that they are looking to start some negativity.

Chris,

I am sure you had good intentions, but your post came across as just trying to come up with stuff to complain about, it was literally the subject line of the thread. I appreciate the debate as much as anyone, but I hope it works out.

Chris,

I am sure you had good intentions, but your post came across as just trying to come up with stuff to complain about, it was literally the subject line of the thread. I appreciate the debate as much as anyone, but I hope it works out.

As my wife is always quick to point out, what i say and what i mean don't always match. I apologize if there was any confusion.

I think the MeatEater program is one of the best shows on outdoor TV! Rinella is a quiet, reflective and respectful host, video and production quality is always high. And the fact that he shows preparation and consumption of the animal is great. I really think he is an OUTSTANDING ambassador for our sport. Certainly does not leave much to complain about :)

I just spit a little coffee out my nose..."respectful?" Steve drives me crazy the way he cuts people off and forces a new direction in the conversation (not the polite, subtle re-direction that most hosts use). He also seems to have no respect for Janis, who by all reports, lives up to the accolade of "most affable man in the world." Other than that, I totally agree. And even with those two criticisms, I think Rinella's podcasts are the most informative, entertaining podcasts that I have had the pleasure to listen to. I don't know how he keeps finding guests that are not only the experts in their field, but can also articulate their knowledge so well. Steve's intelligence and integrity more than compensate for his intermittent rudeness.

Back