Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anyone use ulmer edge yet

174in

Ok guys just curious what results with the ulmer head you have had.I have been shooting grim reapers for years without any problems beside a small amount of deflection wich I think you will get off any mechanicle head.This year I decided to try the Ulmer edge and I shot 2 deer with them last night.Each deer only went 50yds.The problem I saw when getting to the deer was nasty deflection on both deer.Each one was broadside when I shot them behind the shoulder but both came out the paunch.After skinning the deer I noticed from where the head hit the hide the arrow deflected about 4" rerward before even breaking the diaphrame.Have any of you experainced the same problem with this head? At this point I think I may go back to the old faithfull reapers.

174 my bro-inlaw is shooting it this year. I was checking it out a couple weeks ago and they seemed awful dull to me. I have been shooting CS montecs so i'm used to dull, however the montec is real easy to touch up right out of the package. The Ulmer edge didn't look like it would be very easy to get really sharp before putting in the quiver.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Last edited:
174 my bro-inlaw is shooting it this year. I was checking it out a couple weeks ago and they seemed awful dull to me. I have been shooting CS montecs so i'm used to dull, however the montec is real easy to touch up right out of the package. The Ulmer edge didn't look like it would be very easy to get really sharp before putting in the quiver.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

That reminds me one of the heads are shot and I cant get it closed back up must be a bent blade or something mine must be fairly sharp because I cut the $hit out of my finger trying to get it closed back up:hump: The other one seemed fine and closed like it was suppose to. When I ran them across my thumb nail they did feel like they could be sharper.

174 i took one apart, and it wasn't even close to being as sharp as the one in the video.
It may have been an outlier. Like i said its the only one i have ever touched.

I suspect they will be like every other head out there, some guys will love them and others will swear they are crap.

+1 on that spook.I love to test different broadheads out and I have one of these left that is brand new if I end up with the same results I think it will be my last pack of them.

here they are
009.jpg

LOL yep its getting full I have been helping my parents out with theres also. Trophy hunting from here on out the rest of the year.

I have a friend who used them this year on a big bull. He was able to sink 2 shots inches apart on the bull. He said that it was a bloody mess when he got up to it. He was very impressed.

I also was forwarded an email from my brother in Alaska showing a guy who spent 33 days out in the bush. He shot 2 caribou, dall sheep, moose, grizzly all with the ulmer edge. Like was mentioned earlier. Someone will have a bad experience and swear they are junk. Really the same has happened with every head out there.

That is good to know.I am not going to call them junk yet but am still thinking they should performe a little better than what I have experianced for all the hype they have had out there.I am a mechanical head junkie and have shot alot of them. This head does seem to kill deer fast but both broadside shots on the deer took out 1 lung,a liver,and the guts so I dont expect anything with a wound like that to go very far LOL. Check my bow today also and its still shooting bullet holes so I know it isnt because the bow is out of tune. This kinda has me stumped just interested to hear what other guys are having for results.

I talked to the same guy Lawnboy is speaking of on a great big bull this year and he was impressed. Randy Ulmer shot a bull last year with them and he himself will tell you it was less than a great shot he put on it but the broadhead he feels is what helped him recover the bull.

Still, You can take every broadhead on the planet, some had good luck, some have bad:D I've shot some animals with a rage broadhead that looked like it was dumping blood out of a 5 gallon pail, and others hit roughly same spot and just drip..............

Every scenario is different and there are a lot of good heads out there, I think this one included......

I have shot alot of broadheads over the years. These are by far the most accurate head i have ever shot.I have killed 3 animals so far this year with them. Good holes on both sides. It still is a mech head so there always a chance for failure.Great head and trophy taker will do well with it.HUNT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back