MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anyone here age their birds?

IdahoPotato

I came across a video last summer about a guy that ages his ducks on the garage floor for 7 to 10 days before cleaning. I've also heard about aging pheasants by hanging by the neck.

Last Sunday I came home with 2 pheasants and a hen mallard so I went for it. My garage temp was 38 degrees so I hung them up out of the way. I waited three days, during which time the temp was between 35 and 45 degrees.

Just got done cleaning the birds and just about lost my dinner....how do you guys do this? The smell was not what i would consider an improvement. I kept the duck whole with skin on and breasted the pheasants and saved the legs. Anybody have tips? Is this just an acquired taste? I'll report back after a meal or two.

I age my waterfowl every time and uplands sometimes. I hang by the neck in order to keep any internal fluids from draining into meat. If left on cement floor I would leave breast up. I've left ducks for over a week with good results. The guts might get a little ripe but I usually just breast with skin on, so not an issue. If a bird is a mess and took a bunch of pellets I might skip the aging if I can see entrails leaking out.
I recently started brining all my birds and can honestly say this has made a HUGE difference for the table. Increased tenderness and flavor without doubt. Just water, salt, sugar, and sometimes spice.
Aging should mellow the flavor, if you are getting something nasty it is likely caused by something else.

I gut my ducks and pheasant and hang by the neck. Many will say to leave the guts in while aging, but I am not that strong in the stomach I guess! Usually I hang for 2-3 days but have let them go for 5 days. I try to keep the temp of my garage around 40 degrees so that is where I hang them.

Ive tried and and frankly cant say they taste better. I can say for sure they smell worse. Now I pluck and gut or bone out ASAP.

I've read about aging birds like that. Seems to be popular in Europe. I take the guts out pretty quick, sometimes right after the kill with a bird knife that has an old school guthook. After the hunt they get skinned or plucked. That evening they get cut up and washed in the kitchen sink with 2 or 3 bird dogs laying at my feet waiting for the livers, hearts and lungs. After that they go into a salt water brine in the frig overnight.

I have found brining a much bigger and consistent improvement than aging. As such, I brine and don't mess with aging.

I do it as a rule - 3 days with pheasants and ducks, shorter with grouse. I DO gut them and rinse the cavity before hanging them...

I've even done the pepsi challenge with pheasants - fresh vs 3 days hung in the same recipe and there was definitely a difference - mostly in better texture.

Should note though - If I have birds that are pretty shot up I don't hang them at all. Just too much opportunity for bad things to happen when there are multiple large rakes and holes.

Like others said have done it didn’t notice much of if any difference brine is a way better way for me.

I used to do that with pheasants and ducks, but the only one I fooled was myself. I dont brine either.

My grandfather use to "hang them until the heads fall off". I cant say I suggest that...

Myself, I am a clean asap and brine kind of guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back