PEAX Equipment

Anyone have the 6.7 Powerstroke?

Art Vandeley

I just picked up a 13' Powerstroke 3/4 ton. Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in my first 2000 miles. I'm lucky to get 15 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. I also already had to fill up the DEF fluid which I was told would be every 5000 miles. I guess I was just hoping for a little better highway mileage, and I'm not hot rodding it so figured 17 mpg would be doable. I understand the new emission standards have hurt mileage, but 15 still seems awfully low.

On the positive, it is quiet and pulls my 6,000 lb trailer like a drift boat. The interior is also pretty nice.

What have you found with yours ?

I have 2012 with about 16,000 miles on it. Put DEF in it twice so far; it holds 5 gallon they prolly just didn't fill it up all the way. When it says below 1/2 you should be able to go about 2000 more miles. If you read owners manual there are multiple warnings before it will go into limp mode. I average right around 18 mpg empty around town and highway. Pulling 7,000 -8,000 lb I average 11 -14 mpg depending on what speed I am going.
I like mine so far but use it mainly on weekends and going out west; not sure I would want to have to drive it everyday with diesel being almost a dollar more per gallon.

I have one for work. It pulls great, but thats about the best thing I can say. It rides below average, and it gels up pretty easily. I've had it for a couple years and I treat it with stanadyne anytime it gets less than 30 degrees. It's gelled up on me twice this year, and I plan on it doing it this weekend (I bought the filters for it so I can change them on the side of the road when I break down) since we have some more cold weather coming. I will never own a ford for my personal truck. It averages about 14mpg for me and I go down the road at 75mph whenever possible.

Have a few at work only get about 12 at best around 6-9 while towing. One of them is on its 3rd motor and only has 40k on the body. I'll take my duramax any day.

Well this backfired, I was hoping you guys would make me feel better about my purchase.

Have a few at work only get about 12 at best around 6-9 while towing. One of them is on its 3rd motor and only has 40k on the body. I'll take my duramax any day.

+1. Ford diesels are simply second rate motors and have been since the 6.0 disaster years ago. Way too many horror stories of multiple engine replacements with under 100k.

I'm really curious to see the new diesel 1/2 ton pickup from Nissan. Never have considered a Nissan but if it had a 30 mpg diesel I might at least take a look.

I have a 7.3 with 280,000 still get 15 miles a gallon with 35" tires same motor and tranny only glow plugs replaced. Down grade up.

2013 6.7L Powerstroke...

After being hardcore GM for the majority of my life, this past June, I bought a one ton King Ranch. Nobody could believe I switched, everyone wanted to know "why", and "what was wrong with my 2011 GMC", short answer, not a thing. I have quite a few friends that had or have since switched to Ford. My reasoning is that it's my choice what I buy since I'm paying for it, and I like that Ford has the creature comforts that it does. Power-wise, they are pretty comparable, and if one is being honest, not much difference in mileage. (Not why I personally own a diesel, I like the power when I want it, and it ticks off the Libs) First question I'm always asked, "what kind of mileage do you get?" If you want mileage buy a Prius.....not my cup of tea. As far as I'm concerned, I'm also more willing to give my money to a company that pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps, and didn't need Barry-O to bail them out, carries a lot of weight with me.

To each their own, I'm not gonna knock what you drive, you don't knock what I drive, heck one or the other of us may need a tug, or a ride out if our vehicle of choice leaves us in a predicament. Bottom line, all vehicles have issues, if yours doesn't, my hat's off to you, you must live a charmed life. Enjoy what you have and don't let others have too much influence on your decisions.....unless they're paying the bills.......

As far as the gelling thing, I've had my diesels in lots of VERY cold weather, it's all about treating your fuel, if you don't, you'll gel up, I don't care what you drive.

Just my .02
Jbo

After being hardcore GM for the majority of my life, this past June, I bought a one ton King Ranch. Nobody could believe I switched, everyone wanted to know "why", and "what was wrong with my 2011 GMC", short answer, not a thing. I have quite a few friends that had or have since switched to Ford. My reasoning is that it's my choice what I buy since I'm paying for it, and I like that Ford has the creature comforts that it does. Power-wise, they are pretty comparable, and if one is being honest, not much difference in mileage. (Not why I personally own a diesel, I like the power when I want it, and it ticks off the Libs) First question I'm always asked, "what kind of mileage do you get?" If you want mileage buy a Prius.....not my cup of tea. As far as I'm concerned, I'm also more willing to give my money to a company that pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps, and didn't need Barry-O to bail them out, carries a lot of weight with me.

To each their own, I'm not gonna knock what you drive, you don't knock what I drive, heck one or the other of us may need a tug, or a ride out if our vehicle of choice leaves us in a predicament. Bottom line, all vehicles have issues, if yours doesn't, my hat's off to you, you must live a charmed life. Enjoy what you have and don't let others have too much influence on your decisions.....unless they're paying the bills.......

As far as the gelling thing, I've had my diesels in lots of VERY cold weather, it's all about treating your fuel, if you don't, you'll gel up, I don't care what you drive.

Just my .02
Jbo

Bush bailed out GM.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Chapter_11_reorganization

Last edited:
I was going to buy a new ford until you guys were honest about mileage. Think I will stay with my old dodge. Thanks

Rregardless of brand in 2007 diesels were getting 16-20mpg in 2008 they were getting 12-14mpg and now we are back up to 15-17mpg don't blame the brand thank the gubment!

In June of 2010 we purchased one of the first 2011 Ford 6.7diesels to arrive in our state. We now have 81000 miles on it. Gelling is a fuel problem not a truck problem. I treat the fuel when the temps are below 0'F. I have never had an issue. When pulling a 3 horse gooseneck trailer, we get about 15 mpg. When driving the truck empty over 70 mph on the interstate highway system, we average 18 mpg. If I drive under 55 mph on secondary roads, it jumps to 21 mpg. The power is incredible. DEF is now easy to find in the US and Canada. Our truck has 17" tires and a 3.31 rear axle. It rides well as any other 3/4 pickup. I have driven.

Take what you want from this. I've owned several diesels. I worked in a shop for several years, and grew up with equipment....I'm not some Joe Schmo that doesn't know how to take care of a truck. My 6.7 gels up anytime the weather gets really cold. I treat the fuel, I fill up with #1, I do everything that should be done and it still happens. Trust me, if I could give you a better report I would. I also own a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel and I never have a problem with it. Maybe I got one that is a POS, but I have never had a problem with diesels until this truck.

To be a fair comparison you would have to take into account the deep gearing of those 550s also.

3408 cat diesels only get 1mpg "what crap right?" I mean all they have to do is run an electric generator in a diesel over electric 100 ton haul truck.

Take what you want from this. I've owned several diesels. I worked in a shop for several years, and grew up with equipment....I'm not some Joe Schmo that doesn't know how to take care of a truck. My 6.7 gels up anytime the weather gets really cold. I treat the fuel, I fill up with #1, I do everything that should be done and it still happens. Trust me, if I could give you a better report I would. I also own a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel and I never have a problem with it. Maybe I got one that is a POS, but I have never had a problem with diesels until this truck.

Interesting. Must be a design flaw in the fuel supply system?

If you fill up with #1 you should be good to -40, at which point that's a good reason to stay inside anyway.

I have only had one gel-up with my Dodge, and that was operator error thinking that #2 with an additive was = to #1 for cold weather use.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back