Anyone ever use a ghost blind?

Marshian

I'm taking up archery hunting a need to get a new blind or two. I came across the ghost blind (a mirrored semicircle of panels that reflects the terrain below it), and the premise is very interesting. The internet is full of rave reviews although I'm skeptical if some or many aren't from the manufacturer or advertiser in disguise. Have any of you guys used one, and if so what were your thoughts? Thanks

I wonder what would happen if a rut-crazed buck saw his reflection in one.. Could get interesting real quick!

Years ago when I lived in Billings and hunted geese around Hysham we searched for some type of camo to match the bare dirt in those sugar beet fields. I saw a short article in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life or something for this style of blind. The beauty is that whatever cover you're in, you match. For geese though where they approach from above you would have to have a cover that matched too. I wanted to make one but couldn't find anything reflective enough. Mylar was the closest I could find. That leveled field was impossible to match. We limited almost every time anyway, but it would have been better. I don't have one, but think the theory is sound.

I decided I'm gonna buy one and I'll report back to you guys after the archery opener on its effectiveness. Hopefully with some nice pics attached of a dandy buck!

I think you would be better off with a well placed full enclosure ground blind. It's not always so much about hiding to the exact colors and shapes of the surrounding environment, but blocking hunters movements and breaking up your outline. I think a deer or antelope will see you draw your bow unless you are below the top line of sight.

I've seen those and thought they "should" work really well. . .they are angled towards the ground so I don't think the sun would have an influence on them. I'm not sure about the size, but, I agree with the above post about movement and your outline. Good luck, looking forward to your thoughts on it.

What happens when it's windy with one of those? What about uneven terrain like a hill? I would welcome the company of a nice tree stand any day of the week before a blind but that's just my preference. Just something to think about.

Back