Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anyone Bowhunt Small Game?

emrah1028

I'm a squirrel hunter. I love it. I love deer, pig, etc, but I LOVE squirrel hunting. You're always moving, "stalking" as it were and it's not boring. Until this year, I've always used a shotgun here (.22 use is restricted depending on what WMA you're in here in MN).

Well, since my deer hunting isn't going so well, I've been bowhunting squirrels this year, and man, is it a blast. You'd be amazed at how much fun it is "stalking" close to these things and playing their cat and mouse game. The best part is, I can go at lunch to the public land 5 minutes away from my work every day. I've lost a few arrows and heads, but hey, if I went on the the cost/benefit analysis of meat dollars/ounce, I'd quit hunting. I do it for fun.

I've shot 5 so far. I use my crappiest arrows with the rubber blunt tips. Wallops them pretty good. I've tried the Zwickey "unloseable" heads, but apparently they didn't make that claim after hunting the marshy Minnesota public land. I buy 4 rubber blunts for $10 instead of the 2 for $10 Zwickey heads.

Anyway, some people think I'm crazy, but oh well. I'm having a blast. Anyone else bowhunt small game?

Emrah

I don't exclusively hunt squirrels with a bow, but I will take an extra arrow just for squirrels while deer hunting. You're right, it is fun. But it mostly helps my shooting skills. If I can hit something that small and nervous, I can place an arrow where I want on something the size of a deer. It's an excellent confidence builder!

I really enjoy hunting for (shooting) gophers in the spring with my bow, the judo points always work for me as long as I remember to bend the little prongs forward after shooting them each time so that they catch in the grass.

When I dust off my traditional equipment, which doesn't happen enough lately, I enjoy stump shooting and small gaming over target shooting any day. Usually go with judos.
Always carry a few Flu-flus in the quiver for squirrels - the arrows don't go as far after a miss.
Got a few pics here somewhere.......

I have done my fair share of Prairie dog schwacking with my hoyt and rubber blunts. Even made the Horrible mistake of shooting a skunk with a bow:eek:. Shot a couple Raccoons with blunts. Ah, Heck... Moving targets are more fun to shoot at. The last place I lived, we had a second story window over a couple bird feeders and I'd shoot Starlings and house sparrows with my bow. Just with field points, if you don't kill them, it pins them to the ground.

I love rabbit hunting with my recurve. I also bring along a couple of crap arrows and heads to shoot take out frustrations of failed stalks for antelope on prairie dogs. I think bowhunting small game is way under rated. It's how I grew up hunting since my mother didn't want guns in the house. I found an old fiberglass recurve bow in my grandmom's basement and started shooting it and then moved up to rabbits and squirrels.

Back