Any of the ladies using a Weatherby Camilla?

Looking for advice on a rifle for my recoil sensitive 10 year old grand daughter. I'm liking the Camilla in .243 Winchester a lot for a deer rifle for her.

Thoughts?
Depending on state rules an AR sporting rifle can be an option in .223 - essentially no recoil and stock can grow with her. It’s not my first choice, but know some guys who have successfully taken this approach with kids.

.243 actually does kick a little. If you want truly low recoil you have to get down in powder charge to .250 Sav, 30/30, 6.5 Grendel, .223, etc. In the Camilla I'd go up in caliber and down in powder charge to get better exits and lower recoil.

Depending on state rules an AR sporting rifle can be an option in .223 - essentially no recoil and stock can grow with her. It’s not my first choice, but know some guys who have successfully taken this approach with kids.

My 10yo daughter refuses to use anything else. She uses it well. I insisted on 6.5G on a hunt with bear on the menu. She said she'd rather go fishing.

My wife handled one in the store but didn't care for the feel. Ended up getting an Xbolt Mirco instead.

My wife uses a Remington Model Seven in 7mm08. I buy her the hornady 120 grain "low recoil" ammo. She loves it. It was my first rifle growing up, now it's hers! She's taken 4 deer with it.

Good stock fit, adding weight to stock if she will be in deer stand/blind and doesn't have to carry it, cutting the stock short enough to add an additional recoil pad while still fitting her LOP, low recoil loads (if you hand load, Hornady has specific data on using H4895 to make kid friendly rounds), making sure sufficient eye relief with scope, building up comfort practicing with .223 or 22LR so the "recoil expectation" isn't looming. Lots of little things to try. Good luck and have fun - you can never bring back these days - soak it in while you have them.

Hunting wife and panda bear, thank you for the heads up.

44hunter45, I have used one, my granddaughter has one and a friend of the family has one. It is made with a woman in mind. However, it is not necessarily made for a 10 year old girl whose lop and hand size might both be less than what Weatherby thought the average hand size and lop should be. However if she is already over 5' 4" --"maybe"

The rifle and the way it is made is not the problem. They are very well made rifles. The question is her size at 10. Try to find one for her to hold and shoulder. If it dont fit, it dont fit. Just because it is made for a women does not automatically mean it will fit all women and girls.

as to the 243. No problem with that for whitetail , but whether it is too much gun for her at ten, I dont know

What I do know is that she will never forget hunting with her grandfather. I made a post on a thread Big Fin started today in regards to back yard hunts. They were with my grandfather and they are wonderful memories . She wont forget the time you spend with her.

If she is between 5'4" and 5'7" it should fit her fine. I know three females who have them and I have now had the opportunity to use one. They are nice rifles. Fit and quality. Because of how the stock is made, I think she may find the recoil not to be problem with the Camilla, 243..

My dad and I recently bought my sister a Vanguard Camilla in 6.5 CM topped with a Leupold fixed 6x36. I shot this group at 200 with it while working up a load, right around a half inch. Barnes 127 LRX. It is a fantastic rifle.

C9388E50-1565-437D-B16E-ACF91B8D3EF5.png

I have a friend who has one in 270WIN, and loves it. Says it shoots well, and being she is small in stature, ( 4'11", & barely 95lbs.), it fits her well.

When my daughter expressed that she wanted to go deer hunting with me, i bought her a Weatherby Vangard in 243.
While it fit her, (she's tall! at 18 she was 6'3")she hated it!
She was used to shooting her Browning 22, and my Mossberg 22 Mag.
The recoil, while i warned her & she watched me shoot it first, was disturbing to her.
She's 22 now, and enjoys her stepmom's Savage 110FP in 223 Rem, for target shooting, and my Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts for hunting.

She shot my Stevens 200 that was rebarreled to 250 Savage once, and vowed never again!

Back