Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Any lodgepole pine experts out there?

ERSS

About 15 years ago I was blessed with the opportunity to acquire just under 10 acres of land near the SW corner of Yellowstone Park. It borders Forest Service land and was an old farm/homestead. It had been cleared of trees long ago, but on the side that borders the forest land, trees ( aspens and lodgepole ) have creeped back in. We built a cabin shortly after owning the land and I started a "reforestation project" on the far side of the property which was still pretty barren. I got 1500 12-18 in trees from the local forest service office and things have gone real well, with many of the trees now over 10 ft high. In fact, it may have went too well, since I planted close together thinking there would be alot of trees fail, when in fact great than 90% are still alive. Transplanted aspens have taken hold, sent off shoots and are doing well in this area as well.
Today I noticed several of these pines have bulges with what looks like orange foam breaking out on some of their branches. I have seen this in the forest before and never really paid much attention....but now it has my attention.
I know several of the regulars on here work in forest service and related fields. Anyone know what this is? Can I spray or something to get rid of it? Is it gonna kill all my trees? Plan to talk with the local USFS office on Monday, but thought I would start my research here. Thanks in advance for any info!

Attachments

• php99GExePM.jpg
    php99GExePM.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 293
  • phpema9O4PM.jpg
    phpema9O4PM.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 293
That gall rust is definitely it. Doesn't sound very good, but since most of the trees are in the 8 to 12 foot range, sounds like they will live.

Appreciate the link!

In case you are interested, I have dealt with organics for decades and have used Neem oil concentrate, which is a natural anti-fungal, diluted and sprayed on trees with great success. And if you are interested and cant find it locally, Planet Natural, here in Bozeman does a mail order business and carries it online. Copper is also an anti-fungal and will not hurt your lodgepole pines, in fact the forestry service conducted studies to see if copper treated lodgepoles would benefit in transplanting. There was no detrimental effect found in their studies so it is safe.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back