Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Any good recommendations to thank block management enrolled landowners during elk hunt?

6point5SAUM

I have a tag this year that will be heavily reliant on block management in the first part of the season. I was thinking of bringing along a case of whiskey and leaving a whiskey bottle and a thank you note on the door steps of any of the properties I'm fortunate enough to use. Anyone ever done something like that? Any ideas better than a bottle of whiskey?

With so many landowners moving to leasing to outfitters, and others switching over to land trust, I wanted to show my appreciation some way without disturbing them when they are out working on the ranch or during their limited time in the evening.

I would not give whiskey unless you know they like it. Might even offend them.

One of the things I have done is look up the local farm store and get them a gift card. (Always things they can use around the ranch) Per Rocky, hand it to them in person. Small gesture, but it sets you apart and let's them know your words are genuine. (Which is a rarity today)

Being from Michigan I bring honey or maple syrup from our land or buy some syrup and hand deliver it to the land owner.

The couple of times I've given thank-you gifts to landowners I felt it was awkward for them. For one, they may feel it obligates them to allow you access in the future, when they may not be able to for whatever reason. I think a sincere thank you note is always appreciated and doesn't create any awkwardness or indebtedness.

I've taken some MN walleye out to ranchers that have allowed access. I have also given a landowner summer sausage, brats, sitcks, etc from a deer that I was able to harvest off of their ground. A verbal thank you goes a long way too

Sand plum jam and a framed photo of an interesting aspect of their property is my go to “thank you”. The jam given up front and the artwork mailed directly to their home after the trip is over.

Years ago I would bring a few salmon fillets, flash frozen and vacuumed sealed. Found over the years that a handshake and thankyou note was much more appreciated. Seizing the opportunity to stop and help for half an hour or so even more appreciated.

Back