Any advice for finding elk in the post rut of Northwestern Montana?

metataylor

I am an absolute, absolute beginner when it comes to elk. I have hunted deer for years but I have never even seen a bull elk in my entire life. I have seen a handful of cows but where I live it is just incredibly thick in most places and they are just not something you see around, I live in the Flathead Valley ( Northwest corner of the state).

So I am hoping to get some general info about Elk and their patterns so that I can hopefully get an elk this year.

First, I am of the understanding that during this time of the year (now until end of hunting season in late november) the bulls will be more secluded and NOT in herds with the Cows, is this correct or mostly correct?

Second, What elevation do they like to be during what temperatures? Do they go low when it is cold or do they stay high up? Also what is "High and low" There are places I can hunt that are at the base of a mountain, the top of a mountain, or low in a valley. They could be thousands of feet difference in elevation so it might be nice to have some actual numbers of elevation that relate to temperature if anyone has some.

Third, do elk really care about snow? Obviously snow makes it colder but given a normal temp would they even care about snow?

Fourth, Where should I be looking when I am actually looking at a mountain. Should I be looking at openings, meadows, partially wooded areas, cliffs, valleys? I am of the belief that I have been within a half mile of hundreds of elk before (based on sign and tracks) but I have just never known where to look.

Fifth, what in your personal opinion is the best time to find an elk, early morning is my guess. Some people say evening and some people have told me "literally any time of day" but I am hoping for some opinions here.

I hope you guys can help me out a little, I am NOT above hiking, just yesterday I did a 6 mile hike into a spot I thought might have some elk and I saw lots of tracks and poop but no actual animal.

Get yourself on a FRESH track in the snow and slowly follow it till you find the herd or solo bull.It's what works best for me.As long as you can tell a fresh track from a day or older track,you will walk right in to them eventually.I've done it a bunch with no snow but that's really tough.Snow makes it very easy.They may take you a few miles before you find them feeding or bedded.Just go SLOW,keep your eyes on the look out,and be as quiet as possible.A fresh new couple inches of snow works the best.It covers the old tracks so only fresh will be noticed.Wind MUST be in your face,but it almost always will be as the elk seem to walk into the wind as well

That sounds pretty basic and smart. Do you try and go high or low when looking for elk? Only reason I ask is there is snow on top of some of the mountains around here but I don't think there will be any snow down in the valleys / main part of the mountain for a few more weeks.

I'm in NW Montana trying myself. I've seen some cows mid day feeding. Everyone local tells me same thing mixedbag said. Snow is only on the tops right now and most valleys are private. I've been running into elk on all elevations, nothing particular. Best luck has been finding them where there is food. I'm from Florida so I'm learning as well. Good luck. Its definitely harder hunting up here than further east in the state. Guess that's why they don't shoot much TV over here. But in the end, I think it will be more rewarding.

Be prepared to walk in and out in the dark. Post rut bulls are pretty nocturnal. They like thick timber on steep slopes, but you can pattern them if you know where to look. They won't be near roads, so be prepared to walk quite a ways in the dark. I think evening is more productive for spotting than morning. They still move into open or patchy timber the feed, but it's not places that are easy to get to. I still tend to find them more on north-facing slopes, but I've heard people say that doesn't matter after the rut tapers off. There's often still a secondary rut going on through October, but it wraps up pretty quick. After that you'll find some younger bulls sticking with the herd, but the big guys are gone - holed up in those hard to reach, hard to find places.

Good advice above. Ditto it all. You will probably have to work very hard to find a bull around here, but that makes it rewarding. They can be "anywhere" but are mostly to be where other hunters are not. Cold bowls in the headwaters, or open south slopes if it ever gets cold again. Glass brushfields and avalanche chutes. Look for tracks, not just elk. Look for places where the elk have been mulling around feeding, not just traveling through. Don't be afraid to follow good tracks in the timber if the conditions are quiet, but watch the wind. Use other hunters if you can. If they bump a bull, he might move to you, or at least where you can get a look at him. Your best weapon is persistence. Good luck and keep us posted. Hunting elk in NW MT is much different than hunting them elsewhere in the state, because densities are low and the terrain so damn rugged and timbered.

Thanks for the advice, I think the general advice here has been do lots of hiking and look at the ground for tracks or sign, even if I have to go late at night or early in the AM. I will keep you guys posted if I get anything, trying to find anywhere that is "away from hunters and roads" is pretty hard up here but I will see what I can find. Thanks!

One tip on the tracking, when they start to meander around, really slow down and start glassing everything, I've found that means it's looking for a place to bed. With the early snow this year during archery this was my go to method, I walked in on one small bull to 8 yards before we saw each other, but the snow was perfect. Also, not all bulls will be alone. Many rags horns can still be found hanging around the cows.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wowzers
Back