Antelope Scouting Strategies

2rocky

As I get ready to take the July 4th Weekend to go look at my Antelope unit, I'm perusing a big swath of Northwest Nevada, wondering how to "eat this elephant".

For those of you who actually scout before hand:
Would you say hitting all the highways in the unit would be the first step, and then driving secondary roads to locate herds is the best strategy, or pick a region and work out from there?

Do you find the places named in the Hunt unit information sheets (for Nevada) are accurate and specific?

How do you make a summer scouting trip less tortuous for kids? Riding in the truck a long time, hot dusty camp, etc.

What effect do feral horses have on antelope behavior?

From July to Late August I shouldn't expect much difference in location and behavior should I?

IME with pronghorns in the Great Basin, I'd find water first and work out from there. Feral horses and pronghorns get along quite well and will often be at the same water at the same time. If the water's coming from a stock trough I'd find out if/when they shut them off. That can change their location drastically. Also note/locate any big game guzzlers you can.

As far as the kids go, fun is the name of the game. Making up games with rewards works for my kids to a point.

I scouted quite a few times last year, my first weekend I spent just getting the lay of the land, learning the roads and finding water. During that weekend I found some animals and from that point on I scouted just the one spot looking for different bucks. I had the late hunt and I seemed to find the same animals in the same location every time I went out. I've been in the area you drew quite a bit, I would recommend looking around the Negro Creek area north of Iveson Reservoir, there has never been a time that I haven't seen LOTS of antelope, they seem to hang out in that valley year round. Also look up on the east side of Melody Mountain I've seen some really big antelope hanging out all alone up there. Good luck with your hunt this year!

YNH thanks. As I mark spots on a map I see some patterns developing.

1 pointer, Thanks for the guzzler reminder. I have a friend with a NV Guzzler map, I may have to spring for a bottle of whiskey for him now.....

I drew the tag just east of you. Just a reminder that we just partnered with NDOW and all guzzler locations are now shown on our GPS, Google Earth, or Phone App products now. It has been pretty handy for scouting from home the last couple days.

Good Luck out there!

Matt

I like to learn the roads a little so I can find my way around and get a feel for how things lay. After that I start looking for water. Funny thing is that onXmaps website is up in another window right now as they e-mailed me the update info for NV guzzlers and I was thinking of putting it on my phone for my elk hunt.

Find water and you'll find the animals up there. Better yet if it's off the beaten path. They will be in the same places the rest of the summer barring monsoons that dump water everywhere.

How old are the kids? Pay 'em a nickel for every pronghorn they see before you do, or the first one to hit 100 or whatever. Arm them with a stickbow and sic 'em on jackrabbits. DVD player if the day gets too long. Suerte!

ONX good thing to know. I don't have a Nevada chip yet...

Ben I have a 16, 13, and 7 yo. All 3 girls. I really burnt them on an unsuccessful Archery Antelope trip to CO in 2009 and they and the wife are all pretty gunshy. Wife says I am "too intense". The 7 yo might be game.

Back