Another MT Black Bear

thecrittergitter

Well, it's tough to beat the epicness of the hunt talk 2014 hunt but mothers day was bad day to be a bear for sure. Cody and I were going to run up and visit the hunt talk crew but just couldn't quite make it fit with work and other stuff. We did manage to find the last hour of the day to run to a spot we have had great luck in the past.

We got up to the spot with about 30 mins of shooting light left and sat there watching this small clearing hoping one would come to feed. There were about 25 deer in the clearing and all of a sudden they all started acting funny, and Cody says, " think those deer are acting all jittery for a reason"? I figured so. About 30 seconds later a black ball appeared at the very edge of the clearing. I threw the binos up and it took about one glance for me to determine this bear was in trouble. Cody has a baby coming anytime in the next 2 to 4 weeks so regardless of the bear or situation, he was going to get to take first crack as his time may be over soon.:;) I grabbed the spotter and set up and the bear was looking right our direction. I looked at COdy and said, "you going to shoot this thing or what"? He said, " not real sure, does it look that big?" LOL, I told him he had 10 seconds to be sending a bark out of that 300 Ultramag or I was going to shoot it. That cleared it up right away:) He laid down, settled in for the 489 yard shot and I watched in the spotter. The first and only shot was money as that ol bruin didn't make it 10 yards.

We hiked over there and I had guessed the bear as a solid 6 footer. Turns out it was 6 1/2' and had a nice white patch. 18" skull and a few old battle wounds from years gone by. A super bear for sure!

Congrats to Cody on a great bear! The next night, we again, didn't have much time but headed out to another spot that I have NEVER gone to and not seen a bear. Probably my last chance for a couple weeks to get out so I thought I would go to a spot with the best odds.

And although I didn't expect to see any bears the rest of the year bigger than the one Cody shot, I got surprised that night.....unfortunately, with only 30 minutes of light left and a 2 hr bust to get there.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but after carefull study of this bear, he is actually one of the biggest bears I think I've seen. Thing is a big ol blocky sucker. Was hard to watch the light fade away with nothing I could do but watch..........and coaching two baseball teams, leaves no option to go the next two weeks....

Maybe another time! Thanks Cody for the fun night on Mothers day though!

Attachments

• Cody Bear.jpg
    Cody Bear.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 788
  • Matt and Cody.jpg
    Matt and Cody.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 792
  • cody bear 2.jpg
    cody bear 2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 780
  • Big Bear1.jpg
    Big Bear1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 773
  • cody bear 1.jpg
    cody bear 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 785
Great bear!

I want to shoot one this year, but the way the bar's being set I think it's going to have to be a mammoth now.

Awesome bear! And yes, that one through the spotter is a slob. Hope to see some grip and grin photos of that one soon.

Nice bear, congrats. Good luck with the baseball...I just got my notice last night that it's starting up for my two boys, fun times.

There's only a 1,000' climb and a few Griz between you and that big chocolate we saw with Gerald.

I'm tucking my tail between my legs and retreating to my grizzly-less haunts after watching that big boar swagger around.

I'd love to go back in there JR but I'm pretty sure Dustin's beard and our combined five day bear hunt aroma scared him out when we were packing yours out.

Congrats on a super bear! If you're too busy with baseball, I could keep an eye on that second bear for you ............ just to help out. I'm betting we'll see a pic of you holding him in the near future.

Congrats on a super bear! If you're too busy with baseball, I could keep an eye on that second bear for you ............ just to help out. I'm betting we'll see a pic of you holding him in the near future.

LOL....I'm betting you won't see me with a pic of that bear, but I sure hope I'm wrong:) Two weeks from now, that bear could be 6 miles away looking for a sow.........

So what's a big (MT) bear weigh on the "hoof" and how much do you have to pack out?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back