Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Another first-timer looking for advice

bigdonniebrasco

I'm sure these types of posts become tedious after a while and I've started to post several times only to delete them, because I hate to sound like I am asking others to do my "leg-work".

I am not OLD, but I am in my 50's and not getting younger. Back in 2015 I read an article about pronghorn hunting (By BigFin) and it led me here. I had never hunted anything other than turkey and whitetail, and always assumed I never would. Then my father passed and that got me thinking that if there are things that I would like to do, I'd better get to doing them!

I got on here and started picking brains and got a pronghorn tag for unit 16, got in shape, drove 2 days, and chased down a public land buck! I was HOOKED! I did the same thing last year and will likely do it again every year til I die!

NOW.... I would REALLY like to chase a bull elk with my bow! I know that's a tall order and I am willing to use a rifle, but an elk (even a cow) with my bow is my pinnacle hunt of my life!

For my first hunt I am thinking that a drop-camp or trespass type hunt might be my best option. I started a family LATE in life and as I have a few young kids at home, a guided hunt is WAY too expensive right now. Realistically I am probably looking at 2019, but 2018 is not out of the question for the right hunt.

So all that is to say, that I am here to pick your collective brains again as to what you all might suggest/recommend.

Thank you all for ANY input or advice!

Don

I suggest you do exactly as you did for the pronghorn hunt, just with elk and a bow! ;) I imagine there are some OTC/easy draw options in CO for archery. Looking for 2019, I'd also suggest at looking at draw odds/options in Wyoming.

Thank you! And I actually have a single point in WY... my dumb @$$ missed the deadline for buying an elk point last year! :(

Mule deer is also on my hunting bucket list, maybe I chase mulies this year and elk next? Who knows :)

The expense added by a drop camp or trespass type hunt may or may not get you into more elk than striking out on your own. First of all you need to pick a state. When you have that down, there are lots of resources and advice available to help you secure a tag and find areas that hold elk. Of course, actually getting into bow range and sealing the deal is all on you, but that's what makes it so rewarding when you finally score!

Regardless of what you decide to do, I recommend putting in for a good unit in WY in the 2018 draw on the off chance you actually draw in the random draw. It can't hurt, especially if you were going to buy a point anyway. And by "good" I mean good for opportunity, not necessarily trophy size.

It also might be worth it to look into semi-guided. They drop you off, give you lay of land, setup tent/food. Then leave you for 5 days. Those are much cheaper than full, and not that much more than what you are already paying. There is a steep learning curve and anything you can do to shorten it you will be very appreciative of.

100% !!
All I am hoping for is an opportunity to see elk, that I can then try and get within bow range of. ANY legal elk would be a trophy!!

Regardless of what you decide to do, I recommend putting in for a good unit in WY in the 2018 draw on the off chance you actually draw in the random draw. It can't hurt, especially if you were going to buy a point anyway. And by "good" I mean good for opportunity, not necessarily trophy size.

Might want to look into Montana general units. There is a lot of great elk hunting to be done in the state if you can get past the cost of an out of state license. As for bow/rifle, I would highly recommend getting out during September with a bow in hand. If you can get into elk that time of year, it is an experience that you will never forget. Also, the bulls are stupid that time of year so, in my experience, it will likely be easier to take down a bull than a cow. There are a couple of back country units that allow for rifle use in September (the Beartooths and the Bob) but that takes a whole lot of time and effort. Bottom line is if you're in shape and have the drive to get past the other hunters, you'll have a good chance at getting into some elk! Best of luck.

I suggest you watch Big Fin's video on applying for an elk tag. He goes through the process of each state and how each one varies. In NM you can apply online and buy your hunting license and stamps but it you don't draw you can request to get a refund. NM doesn't operate on points its a random draw.

Cow tags are a great starting point for elk. Cow/calf tags are abundant in some areas in Wyoming and if drawn you could hunt cows one year then go back after a bull the next year if drawn.
I agree with jtm307. You do have a chance at a nice tag in the random draw. Lots of areas have good elk numbers so seeing elk is not the hard part.

I'm sure these types of posts become tedious after a while and I've started to post several times only to delete them, because I hate to sound like I am asking others to do my "leg-work".

I am right there with you. I try to do as much research as I can. I feel bad asking questions. I wish I lived smack dab in the middle of the west. My desk ends up looking like Tony Stark's desk in Iron Man since putting boots on the ground isn't an option for me.

I think Wyoming holds a lot of potential for what you are looking for. Just last year, 16 units had non-resident success rates north of 50%. The opportunity is there. Idaho, Colorado and Montana can get you hunting sooner with the OTC options.

If you ever have any questions, just shout. I would gladly help out as much as I can.

I see you are in Indiana ... why don't you drive through Kansas and we'll go hunt together! ;)

I am right there with you. I try to do as much research as I can. I feel bad asking questions. I wish I lived smack dab in the middle of the west. My desk ends up looking like Tony Stark's desk in Iron Man since putting boots on the ground isn't an option for me.

I think Wyoming holds a lot of potential for what you are looking for. Just last year, 16 units had non-resident success rates north of 50%. The opportunity is there. Idaho, Colorado and Montana can get you hunting sooner with the OTC options.

If you ever have any questions, just shout. I would gladly help out as much as I can.

I see you are in Indiana ... why don't you drive through Kansas and we'll go hunt together! ;)

Ha! I am really wanting to do one of the group hunts the next time one comes around. I need more friends in Indiana that hunt west or I just need to move west.

I agree that a cow tag might be the way to go. They are usually cheaper and it's a fun way to learn a new unit/area, plus awesome meat in the freezer if you're successful. Colorado weather has been crazy the past couple of years to try and get in on elk on a regular basis, at least where I've been hunting (SE Colorado). I know other areas are doing better since elk are getting killed every year. Warm dry summers have been holding elk in the irrigated ag fields. WY is a cool option since you can go back during rifle season if you don't tag out in archery.

Last edited:
Lots of options, a lot of sound advice already given and I'll echo the cow tag advice. Just getting into a unit you can hunt on a year to year basis with a cow tag is key until you have the required points to draw your bull tag. Get an insider account through GoHunt and that'll help you solve a lot of questions. I hope you're putting in for that Kansas elk tag every year! I bailed from the Kansas elk draw once I moved to Wyo. There's some great late season options up here in Wyo if don't want to bail during the KS rut, I'd certainly understand. Best advice I can give being from Kansas myself, is to starting getting into shape. You've already experienced Wyo so you know it's not all still hunting. Although I do have some stands set up on a few holes, it's mostly moving around at high elevation. Coming from the flatlands out of a tree, I had a lot of make up work to do in gym. Good luck!

If you are thinking about finding someone to go with I would just recommend planning on doing a solo hunt. I spent a lot of time searching for someone last year and eventually ended up going on my own. It is pretty intimidating at first and elk are hard to find. You learn really fast why people don't give there elk spots away, they are hard earned. Get in the best shape you can and be prepared to do a lot of hiking. don't expect to hear bulls bugling all day like on tv,lol,public land is a totally different story. I hunted 2 weeks last year and saw elk, missed one and heard 1 bugle(that was at night). Don't go with any expectations and just have a good time. Elk hunting is the most fun you can have being miserable, it will get in your blood and become addicting. I would recommend trying CO. I went there last year for the first time and shot a bull with the rifle. I either saw or heard elk everyday. It seemed to be easier to find elk in CO than in MT.

I want that 'lope experience you have! but missed the deadline to buy a WY point, and app deadline for NM this year.
For you and elk, it might be best to get on GoHunt and figure out draw odds for nonresident archery bull tags in a given state and apply there. In the meantime, you could buy OTC/leftover in CO/MT and get experience. You'll learn a ton. My goal first year also was to see elk. I did that, and eventually got close enough to a bugling herd bull to feel it in my chest. No going back after that.
More importantly I figured out how I like to hunt and have been a backpack hunter ever since.

Elk hunting has a steep learning curve. A lot of people may disagree but if you're a run and gun turkey caller you've already got a significant advantage over most beginners. I'd suggest hit CO with an OTC tag and take in the experience then build from there.

Back