Another Breaks Ewe Hunt

Bugle 'Em In

Spent the weekend in the Breaks w/ my son (his tag). Quickly learned how humbling they can be. Just because we saw sheep didn't mean we could get to them. Things started off slow, but once we settled in we saw a bunch of sheep. Certainly was one of the more fun hunts I've been on in a LONG time!

First we started at the Ferry and walked down river a ways. We didn't find too many sheep right in that spot but did manage to see a few and find an antler.

Attachments

• 1 Walk down river.jpg
    1 Walk down river.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 2 Sheep seen on first walk.jpg
    2 Sheep seen on first walk.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 3 found antler.jpg
    3 found antler.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 1,148
Last edited:
From there, we came back out and got ourselves to higher vantage points for glassing. We spent a lot of time behind the glass and took some shorter hikes during the middle of the day. We were able to experience some AMAZING country.

Attachments

• 4 Saw some rams.jpg
    4 Saw some rams.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 5 steep and unforgiving.jpg
    5 steep and unforgiving.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,144
Knowing where the sheep were concentrating, we decided to head back that direction. We met up with Clint (Danders134)...only I didn't know it was him until we got back out. Him and his son are first class people though. They had the ram tag, we had the ewe tag. We tried to find a ram but couldn't, so my son and I broke off after the ewes we had spotted earlier. My son is pointing to where we are heading to.

Attachments

• 6 Thats where we are about to head.jpg
    6 Thats where we are about to head.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:
It was a fun stalk, which due to the sheep moving and little rises in the terrain, required us to reset a couple of different times. Ultimately we were able to work to within 138 yards and get a clean 1-shot kill. It was an incredible experience.

Attachments

• 7 got her.jpg
    7 got her.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 8 very happy father son duo.jpg
    8 very happy father son duo.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 9 packing out.jpg
    9 packing out.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,144
I can see why this would be one of your most enjoyable hunts. Congrats young man!!

Way to go! That is some awesome country. Get any sheep out of there is nothing short of a job well done. Great memories. for you both.

Thanks for sharing.

You guys just made a memory that will last a lifetime. Congrats on your hunt!

Back