Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anaphylactic shock

Great thread reminder to eval IFAK kit.

I once found myself in need of butterfly "stitch" bandages... Found they had lost their stickiness, aka worthless.

Thank God I always bring a bit of duct tape w/in my kit. Duct tape is gold, in my backcountry carry.

Epi pen x2 on order. Check insurance coverage. I don't have severe allergies though covered:

This is through my insurance via Costco Kalispell, MT.

Screenshot_20230811-115632-229.png

Just so the image of me going into anaphylaxis from yesterday isn't permanently seared into your brains...here's the difference a day and some antihistamines makes. Plus my insurance covered epi pens!

View attachment 286172

Good thread. I spent years organizing a wilderness trip program for kids and have therefore thought about this quite a bit and gotten good training from wilderness first aid organizations. I would add a couple points:

1. In a wilderness setting, where getting out of the woods is going to take a while, remember that an epi pen doesn't stop a reaction permanently. Think of it as a device that buys you time. They key is to get a good antihistamine in you that is long-lasting. That antihistamine is what's really stopping the reaction, the pen just gives that time to kick in. Carrying a pen without Benadryl, etc. in the wilderness is not enough.

2. It is possible for the effects of an epi pen to wear off before your antihistamine kicks in. In a wilderness setting, you're better off having two pens.

3. If it's going to take you a long time to get out of the woods, remember to keep dosing yourself with the antihistamine along the way. Benadryl only lasts for 4-6 hours, so if you have a 12 hour extraction... make sure you carry enough.

4. Get some good training on how to use the pen. It's very common for people to mess it up (usually by pulling it out too soon).

IMO, epi pens should be over the counter (or at least doctors should be looser about prescribing them to folks who are high risk, rather than proven to have an allergy) and they should cost about 50 bucks. I also wish they still sold the old "Ana-Kits" that were a two-dose syringe system. They were dirt cheap and took up very little space.

IMO, epi pens should be over the counter (or at least doctors should be looser about prescribing them to folks who are high risk, rather than proven to have an allergy) and they should cost about 50 bucks.

I agree strongly with this, and don't understand why some things require a prescription and some don't. Having taken epinephrine, I can tell ya it wasn't a recreational drug.

IMO, epi pens should be over the counter (or at least doctors should be looser about prescribing them to folks who are high risk, rather than proven to have an allergy) and they should cost about 50 bucks.
As I mentioned, it was extremely easy to get one from my wife's doctor. I would think that most are pretty understanding in this matter and all it takes is a visit to your doctor to get a prescription set up. We don't even have the best of all insurance coverage yet it ended up being free for us.

As I mentioned, it was extremely easy to get one from my wife's doctor. I would think that most are pretty understanding in this matter and all it takes is a visit to your doctor to get a prescription set up. We don't even have the best of all insurance coverage yet it ended up being free for us.
I'm glad to hear it. When I requested one from my previous MD because of my dad's history with bee sting allergy and the amount of time I spend in wilderness settings, he refused. Good reminder to try with my new Dr...

My FP doctor just sent in a new Rx for me. Now we will see how much BC/BS plan will cover for me.

Benadryl in a kit is a good idea. Is 2 enough or should I carry more? Is there any sort of rule or estimate if an epi pen isn't around.
carry a small box and remember they do expire over time. I carried epi pens for a few years. But the VA won't renews without a lot of testing now days.My doctor told me to take a second dose of Benadryl in about 10 or 15 minutes,only draw back is it can make you sleepy.

$105 after insurance for me. Peace of mind priceless.
$321 for me lol. I have a BC/BS Bronze plan with a fair sized deductible, becuase the only time I typically see my doc is for an annual checkup and bloodwork. Guess my lower level Bronze plan doesn't cover EPIs. But, peace of mind as you said.

Costco's personal discount with Dr. script is $350 for any interested w/o insurance.

Or Canada... heh, OTC for $100-150 CAD. basically 65-100 USD. You may need their RAM card or know someone who has one.

Good thread. I spent years organizing a wilderness trip program for kids and have therefore thought about this quite a bit and gotten good training from wilderness first aid organizations. I would add a couple points:

1. In a wilderness setting, where getting out of the woods is going to take a while, remember that an epi pen doesn't stop a reaction permanently. Think of it as a device that buys you time. They key is to get a good antihistamine in you that is long-lasting. That antihistamine is what's really stopping the reaction, the pen just gives that time to kick in. Carrying a pen without Benadryl, etc. in the wilderness is not enough.

2. It is possible for the effects of an epi pen to wear off before your antihistamine kicks in. In a wilderness setting, you're better off having two pens.

3. If it's going to take you a long time to get out of the woods, remember to keep dosing yourself with the antihistamine along the way. Benadryl only lasts for 4-6 hours, so if you have a 12 hour extraction... make sure you carry enough.
Another option that the allergist told me to keep in my med kit and at home, in my truck, etc. Claritin Redi-tabs they are fast acting.

carry a small box and remember they do expire over time. I carried epi pens for a few years. But the VA won't renews without a lot of testing now days.My doctor told me to take a second dose of Benadryl in about 10 or 15 minutes,only draw back is it can make you sleepy.
Don’t throw them out because they have expired. As long as the liquid site glass on the pen is clear it’s good. The pen that saved my life expired in April 2013! It was used on me October 1st, 2017. It had been in my sister’s junk drawer for years.

Don’t worry about od‘ing on benadryl. My doc say’s it’s almost impossible. I took 16 in about an hour one day trying to stop a reaction. Still had to take the shot, it will help you stay awake!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back