Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

An Oak deer story..

schmalts

I saw this buck, I killed him with a stick. The end:D

Attachments

• 2011buckweb.jpg
    2011buckweb.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 655
Good deer. That is how I tell stories also.

Ha ha.. just kidding Oak.
Well, it will be great to fill a tag this early in the season and even better yet I have time to test out that adopted lab on grouse and turn the boy and his buddy loose to ravage the tree rat population in my woods!
First weekend of "serious" bow hunting and it started rough. I put out a couple deer cameras last weekend, one did not work and one was ripped off by a low life trespasser. The one that did not work was in an area that was hammered with scrapes. I knew something was going on there so I hung a stand late morning and took off to do a little mountain biking. around 4 I got back, took a shower and walked the grueling 150 yards to my best spot. Yea, i know 150 yards, but on my hunting property it is just unreal I have a half mile of river bottom but the best spot is up by the road and my storage shed.... thats just the way it is though, those bucks like the pines and the cover and silent moving they can do in it.
I am sitting there towards sunset, and a little while before closing time a little buck chases some does through about 70 yards out. I waited and 10 minutes later i hear soft foot steps. Here this guys comes. He walks into my setup, right up to the scrape I put the new working camera on, gets his picture taken and spooks by the diode flash and bolts out of there. I was 10 yards away in a tree shaking my head in disgust. Well the darn buck stops 60 yards out, turn around and walks back in, right past the camera and through the clearing and stops just in time for me to give him a 25 yard shot. I see the luminock drill him and he takes off. The arrow falls out in less than 10 yards and lay there glowing in the now fading light. I try to listen and here some crashing but he goes to where all those other deer went that the little buck pushed and all hell breaks loose so I don't know what is what. I wait until dark and get down, grab the arrow and make the long 150 yard trek back to my camper. I look at the arrow in the light and was shocked to see it was not a pass through and only 10 inches was covered in blood. :confused: Hmmmmm.... It is going to be in the 30's that night, I will just let him alone until morning i think, until i look at the weather and it is 55% chance of rain after midnight, dammit!! so i call a buddy, tell him to meet me at the hick bar down the road and we will put some beers down until 10PM and then go take a look.
Well, as you can see by the hole it was no surprise he did not go more than 150 yards.
Not the biggest buck, but tagging out early and having time to do some other things will be a good change of pace.

Sweet looking Buck Schmalts - Congrats !!

My 10 yo daughter & I had a nice 8 pointer walk 15 yards from the blind tonight... it was on the wrong side for me to get a shot off... but she got to do the stare down with him for about 10 minutes before he headed for the field... that was the first buck she's had that close... she told me her heart wouldn't stop pounding.... cool stuff..

Nice Buck! One day I hope to make it up to WI or MI to shoot one of those big northern midwest Whitetails :hump::D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back