Ammo Shortages (Unavailability)

matechakeric

has it ever been determined why almost all quality ammo is never in stock anymore? I've heard just about every theory you could make up

Last edited:
I think it's been discussed in depth... companies have unequivocally stated that they're pumping it out and shipping it as fast as humanly possible, anything to the contrary is simply a conspiracy theory as far as I'm concerned.

Everything you mentioned is correct:
many new gun owners
concerns about potential political action
Plus:
racial unrest/riots
scare of a global pandemic
political unrest
manufacturers/ distributers having employees get sick, having to social distance, shut down, etc...
due to the short supply on shelves, many are now panic buying everything they can get their hands on

I think that about covers it, a combination of all of the above.

The back orders on ammunition are insane. Black Hills is quoting deliver on some products at ONE YEAR.

I went to a local shop that’s pretty big yesterday and today. I’ve figured out that they’re literally keeping the good stuff in the back along with primers and powder. If you ask, they get it for you but aren’t putting it on the shelves for some reason.

I went to a local shop that’s pretty big yesterday and today. I’ve figured out that they’re literally keeping the good stuff in the back along with primers and powder. If you ask, they get it for you but aren’t putting it on the shelves for some reason.
When I used to work on a shop, we always kept primers in the back because people love to open the packages and then accidently dump them all over the floor if you leave them on the shelf.

Been looking for a box of Weatherby 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo for my .300 Wby. magnum. Everyone is out of stock, no back order, no ETA. Crazy!

The back orders on ammunition are insane. Black Hills is quoting deliver on some products at ONE YEAR.
I could have picked up about 10 boxes of Remington core lokt .280 Rem at $40 a box plus tax and about the same number of boxes of Federal brand a little cheaper. Didn't check bullet weights. That place has 2 stores in the area, one had a 2 box limit. The one with the ammo had nothing posted about limits. I saw one gent scoop about 20 boxes of 12 gauge slugs into his shopping basket. Figured those were going up on the internet somewhere.
The same store with the .280 also had 7mm mag and a goodly amount of .270 WSM and .300 WSM ammo and brass. Some of the 7mm was close to $60 a box.

I could have picked up about 10 boxes of Remington core lokt .280 Rem at $40 a box plus tax and about the same number of boxes of Federal brand a little cheaper. Didn't check bullet weights. That place has 2 stores in the area, one had a 2 box limit. The one with the ammo had nothing posted about limits. I saw one gent scoop about 20 boxes of 12 gauge slugs into his shopping basket. Figured those were going up on the internet somewhere.
The same store with the .280 also had 7mm mag and a goodly amount of .270 WSM and .300 WSM ammo and brass. Some of the 7mm was close to $60 a box.
I know it's simple supply amd demand but not a fan at all of the increasing cost for the ammo that is available

I know it's simple supply amd demand but not a fan at all of the increasing cost for the ammo that is available
Yeah they may have raised the price, but getting replacement product is a bugger. Someplace like Walmart has to have 7500 boxes just to put ONE BOX on the shelf of each store, so they can put a pretty big dent in manufacturing capability if they place orders.

Yeah they may have raised the price, but getting replacement product is a bugger. Someplace like Walmart has to have 7500 boxes just to put ONE BOX on the shelf of each store, so they can put a pretty big dent in manufacturing capability if they place orders.
The store down the road however has plenty of other stuff in the store to bring in shoppers, so it's not like lack of guns or ammo or components will put a serous dent in their business like it would a LGS.

I think the president of Hornady said one issue is people don't buy a box any more if they see ammo. They'll buy a case if they can. He even had an acquaintance ask if she could buy a pallet, which is something like 30,000 rounds. (I suspect to sell at inflated prices on the internet).

Not too long ago, ammo manufacturers were offering incentives to shift ammo because sales were slumping. One of the reasons given was panic buying during the Obama administration. The CEO of Federal said Americans were sitting on billions of rounds and sales wouldn't pick up until it had been used up. I guess he was wrong on what would get sales up again. 😁

This too shall pass. I keep an eye out for "reasonably" priced handgun ammo. Otherwise, I mainly shoot my rifle reloads these days.

I'm going to be spending more time at the archery range this year...
Even cheap shells for shooting clays are gone

Back