Am I underspined?

elkaholic06

Hey guys,

I'm shooting a 70# compound bow, with a release, with an IBO speed of 322 fps. Arrows are Gold Tip Hunter XTs (.340" spine) that are cut to 28" and tipped with a 125 gr point (total arrow weight is 420 grains). Do these arrows have an appropriate spine for my bow?

Thanks much!

I'm shooting Easton FMJ 340's out of a similar set up and cannot get broad heads and field points to group. I am fairly certain I am underspined. Trouble is they don't make FMJ's any stiffer so it's back to the drawing board...

According to the Easton tuning guide underspined broad heads impact to the right of the field points and overs pined will impact to the left. I am right on the border between 400 and 340. I couldn't get the 340s to broad head tune, but the 400s wouldn't paper tune. With the 400s my broad heads and field points hit in the same place. For deer I use rocket steelhead 100s, but I still wanted to make sure that all available energy was going to penetration.

Similar question... I'm using 27" shafts with 63 lb IBO 325. GT hunter XT 400 with 100 gr mechanical for deer. If I were to setup for elk, would u all recommend 340 with 125 gr fixed blades or stay with 400 and 100 gr and switch to fixed?

http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/default.aspx

I recently went through the exercise of getting new arrows and this tool was very helpful for arrow selection/setup. I would bet it's going to tell you to go with a heavier insert for greater foc and to go with a 300 spine arrow, but you'll need to check for yourself. I think it gives you one use for free, then you'll need to buy the software ($20 I think).

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigElk
Back