Almost Arrowed A Deer Today - Caught With Pants Down!

emrah1028

I missed opening day of archery deer/small game here in Minnesota last week as I was out of town traveling for work.

So I'm home for a couple of days before I leave again so decided to start my bow season this morning. I'm in the woods by 5:45 am. Legal shooting time is 6:30. After sunrise, I move to a nother location (I'm hunting from the ground using trees and brush for cover). About 7:00 am, I get up to leave for another spot but decide I need to pee. Take off my jacket, set down my bow and take off my release (trigger) from my wrist. I'm kneeling forward, peeing over the other side of a log. I didn't stand up as I want to keep a low profile.

I finish and look over to my left - DEER! One young spike buck followed by a very nice 4-point 2 1/2 year old with a nice body. Crap! The first one spots me, then of course, so does the other. But they don't spook away just yet. They are both staring me down and slowly feeding my way (from about 40 yards away). I rock backward on my heels so I can at least rest my butt on my heels while kneeling. So there I am: pants down around my thighs, bow on the ground next to my release. Burn that picture into your head!

Over the next 15 minutes, we played the Mexican standoff game. I move slightly, they look up and stare me down for a half minute, then go on feeding. I move again, they look up, etc... I finally got my release on, arrow knocked and bow pointed kinda straight. I wait for the first (young) one to walk past so he cannot see me draw and spook the better buck. He moves past and I have a REALLY small window to shoot through for the second guy (the reason I was moving in the first place was to get to a better shooting lane!)

Well, at about 25 or 30 yards, I finally aim and let go.... The arrow deflects off a branch and goes high and right.:BLEEP::MAD:BLEEP:. They bolt to the other side of the clearing. I wait it out for a few minutes to see if they'll come back. The bigger buck stares me down again from about 75 yards away, then loses interest and the trot off out of sight.

So basically, I got caught with my pants down. Literally. But man was it fun playing the back and forth game with them. Gonna try the same spot in the morning.

Emrah

Not to be a SA, but why did you have your pants down to pee? Camo that didn't have a zipper front?
I have nice set of raingear and no fly in the front which has me worried now.

IDNATIVE, I didn't. Just had the front open at first, but when I rocked back from a "standing/kneeling position to a kneeling/sitting position (bum sitting on my heels), they pulled down a bit.

Emrah

NASA diapers and scentlok....I'm surprised Waddel or Tiffany aren't barking them.

I got a buddy who was taking a crap when out walked a nice buck. He had his rifle right next to him so he grabbed it and shot the buck…then proceeded to finish his business

I got a buddy who was taking a crap when out walked a nice buck. He had his rifle right next to him so he grabbed it and shot the buck…then proceeded to finish his business

Had the exact thing happen to me back when I was in high school while hunting the Copper Basin area in Idaho. Got hit in the gut from breakfast and was out in the sagebrush trying to take care of emergency business. Next thing I know I was standing up shooting. My friend's dad laughed about it until the day he died.

Duck hunting friends always say that when things are slow the are going to do "something random and stupid" to stir things up. Dropping trousers sure qualifies as "random and stupid" and sometimes really works?!!.

Well, at least you got a shot at one! I once had a similar thing happen as well. Caught taking a piss while bear hunting (zipper only, pants were still up) and had a bear come in. Kind of hard to sop mid stream isn't it. I shot the bear ind in the process, kind of pissed all over everything, stand, tree, pants. Bear was upwind and I guess the smell of apples and donuts trumped the sound of peeing off a stand. Shot distance was 10 yards so I know he had to hear it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back