Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

AK guide vs. transporter

rmyoung1

So here's how a section in the Alaska Drawing Permit Hunt Supplement reads:

Guide and Transporter Differences
Hunters should be aware that, except for a registered or master guide, it is illegal for anyone to provide for compensation any supplies, equipment or services (other than transportation) to a big game hunter in the field. In other words, transporters and individuals cannot legally receive compensation for providing vehicles ... from a permanent or nonpermanent structure in the field or on a boat on saltwater....

I know Randy touched on this quirky rule on this forum and during the AK black bear episode already, but I was operating under the impression that the businesses not able to provide boat rentals were not licensed transporters. I assumed that a transporter could provide a boat rental. I thought that having a transporter license meant that someone could use them to rent a boat or even have a transporter drop them off with a boat and other equipment. It seems to me that the above regulation prohibits transporters from renting boats, however. Am I reading that correctly? If I am correct, I suspect that a number of businesses in SE Alaska, who cater to the self-guided hunter, need to watch out. Those businesses and the services advertised on their websites seem to be in direct violation of the rule since I'm quite certain that they aren't all registered guides but rather classified as transporters.

How does everyone else understand this rule? Am I correct?:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Pretty screwed up rule. The way it's written, you better make sure you're not renting ANYTHING for your trip. First that comes to mind is a sat phone.

There is a majority of residents that are getting tired of the outfitting industry running the hunting show in AK. The torches are being lit... just a matter of time before the first march.

There are more and more restrictions being placed on NR in favor of a guide requirement. Such that they want set aside draw tags to be for guided hunters only. This is complete BS. I haven't looked at the regs, but do the guides have their filthy hands in the black bear draw permits yet?

Pretty screwed up rule. The way it's written, you better make sure you're not renting ANYTHING for your trip.

That's what I was afraid of. The weird thing is that I don't think these transporter license only outfits have much of a clue about how this regulation is written. Otherwise I do not believe they would advertise certain rental services the way that many do currently. Very weird.

As for the black bear tags, there aren't any guide/client agreements required where I was hoping to hunt, but this rule makes going with an outfitter almost mandatory short of bringing your own boat to the field with you.

Last edited:
When I did a DIY caribou hunt out of Kotzebue, we rented our camping equipment and bought our food from the transporter. Much easier than trying to ship everything from the lower 48 and hope everything is there when your hunt comes around. This is a picture of the inside of our transporters HQ tent at the Kotzebue airport. I wonder if this would still be legal?

Attachments

• B0000570 small.jpg
    B0000570 small.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 170
When I did a DIY caribou hunt out of Kotzebue, we rented our camping equipment and bought our food from the transporter. Much easier than trying to ship everything from the lower 48 and hope everything is there when your hunt comes around. This is a picture of the inside of our transporters HQ tent at the Kotzebue airport. I wonder if this would still be legal?

There are different levels of "transport", if he was providing you with those goods/services he was more than likely a licensed outfitter as well.

Not an outfitter. He was very clear to inform me he could not give us any information on how or where to hunt. However he did say I should keep my eyes open as we were trying to find a place to land, just in case anything interesting should pop up.

I did just look at their website and see they no longer offer rental equipment or food. Just raises the logistic complexity up another notch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back